Non-theism vs Theism for the lazy.

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Non-theism vs Theism for the lazy.
Dec 23, 2006, 16:12
Shanshee, I just have to say that you must remember that their HAVE been societies that purged religion from the social fabric, but it didn't lead to a gentler, wiser culture...

Communist Russia?
Maoist China?

Both brutal revolutions that repressed their own people and left millions in unmarked graves.

I agree that SOME religions, and SOME branches of them, are out of whack, and I agree that the whole savior idea is unhealthy... it's a codified manifestation of regressive and infantile desire to have all your wants and needs provided by some all-powerful figure.

HOWEVER... NOT ALL Christians are like this. One of my favorite people is a client of mine, a retired minister, a WW2 veteran who has a fantastic sense of humor, is vigourously anti-dogma and anti-fundamentalist.

The idea of forgiveness is a sound one too- obviously not the sort that absolves oneself from guilt instantantly thru some declaration of oneness with a savior figure, but forgiveness of yourself and others for their humanity and all the foibles that entails.

I think you must have had some bad experiences with Christians. Like all big institutions, it has it's faults, but don't curse the whole lot... it's really not fair to cast dispersions on people who've been sullied by some loudmouthed bullies who also call themselves "Christian". (insert any other religion here, same thing.)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index