Nov 05, 2006, 11:55
Yep indeed, I've got my ticket and am on board the vegan bus with y'all
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Vegetarians who eat fish..
Nov 05, 2006, 11:59
shanshee_allures wrote:
I don't believe in living your own lifestyle-choices through your kids.

I'm not quite clear what you mean here. I can't see how you can do anything else. You decide to smack them. Or not. Both are living a lifestyle choice. You decide to give them animal foods. Or not. Both are imposing your lifestyle choices.

You have to decide what's right for them. When they're first born you take every decision for them, and as they grow older you explain why you've taken those decisions and what the other options are, why some people choose differently and why you don't.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 12:12
Sorry, a bit late to this thread.

I think some of the thinking on this subject has a will to see 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' as some kind of absolute, and if you make an exception to it then you have sinned, failed and might as well eat live kittens from now on.

For me, it's about reducing the damage inflicted on the world. Animal products are not just cruel to the animals, they're an environmental catastrophe, we don't need them so we shouldn't use them.

But it's also kind of like living without, say, oil products. Someone who gets the bus and reuses their plastic bags is consuming oil as much as the SUV driver, but they're doing *less* damage.

By the same token, a veggie who eats fish or the occasional chicken korma is still doing less damage and living more responsibly and sustainably than someone who eats beef every day.

Seeing veggieness as a tendency rather than an absolute is a lot more helpful. It gets us off this post-Christian martyr trip (doing the right thing is about sacrifice! If I can't do everything then I might as well do nothing!) and makes people more likely to act responsibly.

Whilst avoiding meat is a great thing to do for youself and your fellow species, it's not the Holy Grail.
Stormy
Stormy
6 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 16:43
Wer Hey!! we are growing in numbers :0)
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 19:05
Thank you - beautifully put.
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 20:03
Good point, Merrick. And quite a heartening thought for those of us who feel like we are failing miserabely to do the right thing. Supposedly people don't like to be labelled, but sometimes people like to have their own identities defined. I suppose it makes things easier than saying, Hi, I'm a continually failing vegetarian who likes brussels sprouts and can't resist a bacon sarnie.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 17:50
don't eat anything with a face pretty much sums it up
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 19:09
What about Funny Face ice-creams?
Cor, they were right nice, them. Problee full of pig fat, though ...
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 19:21
nuff said!
licornenoire
licornenoire
18 posts

Nov 21, 2006, 22:11
Humans are omnivores, enough said!