David Irving sentenced

44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 23, 2015, 16:27
Re: David Irving sentenced
Feb 27, 2006, 17:07
Same here. Personally, I think he's an insidious Nazi sympathiser who should definitely have been prosecuted. After all, he deliberately and knowingly broke a law which was set in place with the express intention of dealing with the issue of holocaust denial

On the other hand, I think he should have had a hefty fine whacked on him rather than being imprisioned, as this may indeed turn him into a mrtyr for the partisan far-right, allowing them to depict him as a persecuted idealist rather than a savvy, media-manipulating liar. As for the censorship argument, like you say, I don't know where I stand as there are pretty strong arguments on both sides. The question is, do we have civil riughts wiothout civil responsibilities? Should those who support an ideology which in itself negates freedom of speech for anyone whom they find socially undesirable be entitled top free speech themselves?

What the f***, it's a dificult one. Hope he isn't allowed to publish a self-pitying mempoir about him time in jail though. Somehow I have a nasty feeling he'll do an Archer on us and make a profit from his crime.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index