David Irving sentenced

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

David Irving sentenced
Feb 22, 2006, 08:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4734648.stm
I just wondered what people thought about this. Ok so he's a bit batty going against the experience of millions and the accepted history of Europe. But he's not calling for Jewish people or anyone else to be killed. He's just had a rather unorthodox view of history. And he's changed his mind about the existence of the gas chambers since. Does he really need banging up? Wouldn't it be better to spend more effort locking up neonazis who go round beating people up?
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Re: David Irving sentenced
Feb 22, 2006, 09:12
I think it's mad locking him up. He's an idiot, and has as good as said so himself
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 09:18
Seconded.

Absolute crap!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 09:39
I was surpriserd this hasn't been covered, yet. I dunno, you spend three days in bed and everything goes to pot.

I can't help thinking:

First they came for David Irving,
But I did not speak out for he's a cunt.

I don't think he should be sent to prison. But, it couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 10:00
I'm right with you there AQK. It's wrong, yet somehow totally deserved at the same time :-)
Hexham Wolf
Hexham Wolf
341 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 11:16
Its a tough one I think, I'm not sure quite where I stand.

He is a twat, but not sure the prison sentence is really valid.

Then again it's not like he is misguided but entirely benign, there is footage of him speaking to neo-nazi rallies where he can't possibly have been naive enough not to realise how his revisionism would fit in and support these peoples warped political views.

Denying the holocaust is shocking and wrong. Revising history and attempting to deny appalling violence and abuse of human rights is pretty much a feature of mainstream politics and the media across the globe.

I worry that maybe this helps to raise his profile and could make him into some kind of marter for the far right.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 13:17
This free speech is okay for nazis argument has always bugged the fuck out of me. No it isn't, they shouldn't have free speech. Protecting the right of free speech to someone who wants to take that right away is hypocritical at best and really fucking stupid at worst.

I'm not a fan of censorship, and most censorship is wrong, however I think its a good thing that society occasionally learns from it's mistakes. Fascism was a mistake, the censorship of their ideas is a reaction to that mistake. A good thing really.

The way the far right has, historically, gained power is through the legitimisation of their arguments. This is done by the established parties in power delivering far right rhetoric/policies (for example the recent anti immigration posturing, end result being then BNP gaining more of a following), and the liberal intellectual navel gazing end of the left defending their right to free speech.

No society cannot afford to tolerate intolerance, whats so confusing ?
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 13:19
'CAN' not cannot, obviously.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 13:54
He's a Nazi. Nazi's don't deserve free speech. He says that those who survived Auschwitz are lying. He should be in prison and I fucking hope the cunt dies there.

x
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 22, 2006, 14:13
That's you off the parole board then?
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index