David Irving sentenced

44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Re: David Irving sentenced
Feb 22, 2006, 19:59
"No. You have to draw a line. If someone is promoting arguments that end in genocide you have to put them 'outside the cave' so to speak. How can it ever be okay to revise history in order to promote facism ? How do you think facist states actually happen in the first place ? I say again, how can you possibly defend the right of free speech to somebody who wants to take it away ?"

But who draws the line? It would be a very different line depending on who drew it, and what they had for breakfast that day. How can he be promoting Genocide when he is denying that it happened in the first place?
How do I think facist sates start? well, I imagine a good place to start a facist state would be to take someones free speech away, dont you? How can I defend the right of free speech to someone that wants to take it away? well, you want to take his right to free speech away, what makes you and him different? I'd defend your right to free speech as much as I would his. You can disagree with someones opinion and hate them for it, but when you start taking their right away to have one you are on sticky ground and morally bankrupt.

"Your sophistry is nice and smug, but a tad childish philosophically. You're free to argue against free speech and also perfectly free to democratically remove the right to free speech. How on earth does that make sense ?! You're free to promote a system that removes all peoples personal human rights. Er... sorry.. how can this be sane, rational, or in the interests of free speech. Chomsky is full of crap on this subject too."

Nice and smug? childish? ok, if that's your opinion fine, wouldn't dream of saying you had no right to say it. But, isn't it more childish to say that if you disagree with someones viewpoint that they have no right to say it? isn't it more childish to hope that sticking your fingers in your ears and not hearing what these idiots say will make it go away? You seem to think that I agree with his desire to take away free speech
"You're free to argue against free speech and also perfectly free to democratically remove the right to free speech. How on earth does that make sense ?! You're free to promote a system that removes all peoples personal human rights. Er... sorry.. how can this be sane, rational, or in the interests of free speech. "

I don't, only one of us is interested in taking away free speech and it aint me.

It is horrible hearing people say stuff like that, but i'd much rather they said it out in the open where we can all hear them, and laugh at there ignorance, wouldn't you?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index