ID cards

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: ID cards
Feb 15, 2006, 15:32
"The most cctv'd nation in eutope? so what, If i was mugged, or attacked, or in any way a victim of crime I'd be delighted that there was cctv footage to help convict the bastards. As for the rest, important but not relevant to id cards."

I never said that there weren't any positive uses to cctv. The point was that the rampant spread of cctv has happened without any consulatation with people of this country and is another example of the non-accountability of UK government. On the same basis, I think the "rest" is relevant to id cards because they're all examples of bad government in the UK and I am not easy with the power the id cards would give to a proven bad government.

"Why? what do you do that's so interesting to them?"

How do I know? My previous ‘political’ activities are already a matter of record with government agencies. Depending on how the world develops over the next 15-20 years (fundamentalism, nationalism, oil stocks depletion, environmental damage, water shortages, over population, perpetual war - not a healthy future), I could be one of thousands of undesirable, potentially ‘difficult’ people in this country.

"They may help to stop fraud, and they may help to stop terrorism, they certainly won't make it any worse."

Again, there may be advantages in combating crime, fraud and terrorism, but even the government have said that id cards would be only one weapon in those fights. It’s a big step to take just to have one more weapon. And as others have pointed out in this thread, equivalent forms of identity proof already exist (or soon will) and have been successfully copied. The same would happen with id cards. Foe me, the complete surrender of my privacy is too big a sacrifice for limited effect.

"And what if the government was desperate to force a better health service, or a ban on hunting, or deseperate to de criminalise certain low grade drugs. would we wnat to stop that just becuase a government is keen to get it through? I can't see that a government wanting it makes it bad."

The government do force things through, as previous governments have done. I’m pretty sure they will force this through too. The examples you give have an end result that can be understood, if not agreed with. I don’t believe we’ve been told why they so desperately want id cards and I’m very suspicious.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index