56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Re: ID cards
Feb 16, 2006, 01:38
"why do we need another form of id?"

The data protection act stops anyone from using disparate sources tosearch for people on, in a cross referenced kinda way. A sinlgle database containing a shitload of personal information, negating the need for cross referencing to other systems circumvents the DP act. This is not a good thing.

Also, they still, and won't, tell us who will have access to this information, and for what reasons searching it will be allowed. They've mentioned creating another fucking department (responsible to who fucking knows who, working for who fucking knows what) that will 'oversee and decide' who can access it and why. This is unacountability finessed as only this govt can. This is also not a good thing.

Call me a paranoid conspiracy moron, I don't mind, I've worked in information theory my whole life. This is the database a lot of people in the field have been dreading for a long time, the central DNA database. It isn't good, not good at all. Especially once they get rid of the pesky cross referencing limitations enshrined in law, open it up to say... criminal records, educational records etc. etc. Anyone see 'minority report' ? They won't need psychics to infer stupid correlations.

Sure, I may be paranoid, over reacting. Thing is though, the creation of such a database is dangerous, even if this govt behaves responsibly (unlikely, considering previous behaviour) whose to say that another 10-30 years down the line will be responsible. Making something so powerful and pervasive is not a good idea, because you can't guarantee who may control it in the future. This is basic privacy and human rights as regards inforamtion, and the theory of its use, you must always, always consider the worst case scenario.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index