U-Know! Forum »
ID cards

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shamanic miner
184 posts

ID cards
Feb 13, 2006, 13:42
Thought this was intesting. If the balance of comments are in any way indicative of general public opinion then it would seem that ID cards are a lot less popular than Mr Blair would have us believe...

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=1101&start=0&&&edition=1&ttl=20060213131706
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Re: ID cards
Feb 13, 2006, 14:06
I don't mind them, in principle. Think they should be free or a lot cheaper though
shamanic miner
184 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 09:28
They can't be "free". If you don't pay directly you'll have to pay through taxes. The government's money is our money.
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 09:48
Same as every other service/ tax/ whatever. what I'm saying is that I dont object to them in principle
shamanic miner
184 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 10:33
> Same as every other service/ tax/ whatever.

Exactly.
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 10:44
I do
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 11:35
They are going to be sneaked in by the back door regardless. The latest thing proposed is if you renew your passport etc it will have biometric data on it like your fingerprint / iris pattern. Despite the fact that they're saying it'll be 'voluntary' (yes, well it is voluntary whether you have a passport, of course). Down the line, so many people will have these documents that it will be futile to say you don't want an id card.

I still don't see how these things are going to prevent terrorism, which is the underlying excuse for getting them in. If you can fake a passport, you can fake an id card. Sooner or later.
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 11:49
yes, exactly, so I cant see a problem
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 12:49
Yep, they have no benefit at all and they (and the associated databse they're building) will be very expensive. I mean, insanely expensive, as in channel tunnel style spiraling costs. 12 Billion I think the LSE reckon, I think it'll go over that and the 100 quid they expect us to pay for our card won't be enough.

What they want, and have wanted since Blunkett started all this, is a DNA database.
Father Sky
Father Sky
323 posts

Feb 14, 2006, 13:06
Sounds like a vast waste of resources to me.

A terrorist could easily have an id card and still be a terrorist.

Someone employing an illegal worker isn't going to say "Hang on mate, you don't have an id card, I'll have to report you."

I'm struggling to see how these cards will impact on id fraud - if I want to apply for a credit card, is the company going to ask me to come in so they can scan my iris and check it's really me?

Perhaps it might have some effect on benefit fraud, but this seems a completely overblown and inappropriate solution.

Plus I don't trust the Government to setup and administer the database securely and safely.

Can anyone explain what is so good about these cards?
Seems to me the money could be much better spent.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index