ID cards

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: ID cards
Feb 15, 2006, 19:19
I've got no facts to back up my post so as usual will go by my gut feeling so...

FWIW I think they're a waste of time particularly with regard to the reasons given for their supposed necesssity.

The people who commited the atrocities in London last year would have been able to get ID cards without a problem if there was a legal requirement for them to have had them.

The idea that it would make illegal economic immigration more diffficult is spurious as most seem to disappear into the void that is the black economy. I doubt very much that they're claiming benefits or seeking work thru' legal agencies

If ID becomes a legal requirement it's sure to be abused and used as an excuse for detention ( as it has in France particulaly with French citizens from ethnic minorities ).

I do find the argument that multiple identity benefit fraud would be much more difficult quite persuasive though. That said the cost of ID cards is so enormous that it's akin to cracking a nut with a sledgehammmer.

Bottom line for me is that whether I pay for it directly or indirectly it's another major step towards living in a monitored authoritarian world that's abhorent to my sensibilities.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index