ID cards

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: ID cards
Feb 15, 2006, 19:19
I've got no facts to back up my post so as usual will go by my gut feeling so...

FWIW I think they're a waste of time particularly with regard to the reasons given for their supposed necesssity.

The people who commited the atrocities in London last year would have been able to get ID cards without a problem if there was a legal requirement for them to have had them.

The idea that it would make illegal economic immigration more diffficult is spurious as most seem to disappear into the void that is the black economy. I doubt very much that they're claiming benefits or seeking work thru' legal agencies

If ID becomes a legal requirement it's sure to be abused and used as an excuse for detention ( as it has in France particulaly with French citizens from ethnic minorities ).

I do find the argument that multiple identity benefit fraud would be much more difficult quite persuasive though. That said the cost of ID cards is so enormous that it's akin to cracking a nut with a sledgehammmer.

Bottom line for me is that whether I pay for it directly or indirectly it's another major step towards living in a monitored authoritarian world that's abhorent to my sensibilities.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Feb 15, 2006, 22:31
ID Cards?

They can cock off.

The greatest security and healthfulness any community/country has is that of loving it's neighbour. How many of us don't even know our neighbours? The government tit is not the best milk.

Bastard politicians.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Feb 16, 2006, 01:38
"why do we need another form of id?"

The data protection act stops anyone from using disparate sources tosearch for people on, in a cross referenced kinda way. A sinlgle database containing a shitload of personal information, negating the need for cross referencing to other systems circumvents the DP act. This is not a good thing.

Also, they still, and won't, tell us who will have access to this information, and for what reasons searching it will be allowed. They've mentioned creating another fucking department (responsible to who fucking knows who, working for who fucking knows what) that will 'oversee and decide' who can access it and why. This is unacountability finessed as only this govt can. This is also not a good thing.

Call me a paranoid conspiracy moron, I don't mind, I've worked in information theory my whole life. This is the database a lot of people in the field have been dreading for a long time, the central DNA database. It isn't good, not good at all. Especially once they get rid of the pesky cross referencing limitations enshrined in law, open it up to say... criminal records, educational records etc. etc. Anyone see 'minority report' ? They won't need psychics to infer stupid correlations.

Sure, I may be paranoid, over reacting. Thing is though, the creation of such a database is dangerous, even if this govt behaves responsibly (unlikely, considering previous behaviour) whose to say that another 10-30 years down the line will be responsible. Making something so powerful and pervasive is not a good idea, because you can't guarantee who may control it in the future. This is basic privacy and human rights as regards inforamtion, and the theory of its use, you must always, always consider the worst case scenario.
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 16, 2006, 07:40
Not likely. There are no green men living under brigdes in my county. But I once met a bloke who claimed he had little green men living in his refrigerator.
:)
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Feb 16, 2006, 10:11
>>The government tit is not the best milk.
Another fine morfequote
dee
1955 posts

Feb 17, 2006, 15:49
Well done morfey..........fuck dem cards!!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index