45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Re: Off topic slightly...
Jan 07, 2006, 16:22
nonsense is ? er.. okay.

Its a good example of what crackpot science is actually. It takes a rational dataset, (although the sample size is way, way, way too small) such as changes in computer random number generators. It then explains the spike during 9/11 in the numbers generated as a result of the cumulative effect of human beings conciousnesses effecting the global electro magnetic field and altering the random number generators output (WTF !?!?). Which is a completely irrational explantion of the exception in the dataset and has no scientifc rationale.

I pick on the RNG part of the paper specifically as its something I know a lot about. Firstly, RNGs arent random, secondly, unless you publish the entire code used to extract and collate the numbers you're wasting my, and every other person who works in the field of computer sciences, time. Thirdly, are all the machines are the same kinda machine exactly. Fourthly, how have you controlled other variables that may influence the results such as fluctuations in power supply, reliability of every component, timeslice and accuracy of the code in hitting the processor for a number at consistent intervals, temperature of processor, etc, etc. All of which can have more of an effect on results than the extremely small influence of the magnetic field. I wonder what the drain on the power grid was during 9/11 when every financial company and media company switched into overdrive as a result of the attack.

The paper is full of that, rational data containing quantifiable exceptions. Then they pull explanations for the exceptions out of their ass. This is not good enough. This is not science, this is bollocks.

Seriously, study the scientific method, use your own head to find alternative and rational explantions for the observations. Realise that it is possible to prove any theory by refusing to deal with additional variables that may be effecting your measurable results.
Do the basics .
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index