Fuck you Julian Cope

100 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Fuck you Julian Cope
Apr 13, 2005, 04:12
"Britain and Europe have been places of refuge and hope for millennia longer than the United States of America. And when America’s dispossessed gay people, Jewish people and liberal artistic communities run to Britain and Europe for sanctuary from the right wing’s New Theocracy, I’ve no doubt we shall happily make room for them all – and without too many smug smiles of self-congratulation. "

I'm sorry, but I find that overly optimistic. The furore about asylum seekers and immigration that has got this country in such a paranoid grip at the moment doesn't make me share your optimism at all. The only reason gay, Jewish or liberal people from America would be accepted is because they are English-speaking and generally white, and from a similarly wealthy country. Unfortunately gay people or Jewish people fleeing much worse persecution in countries in Africa or the Middle East are not welcomed with open arms at all. They're persecuted the same way as any asylum seeker with dark skin who doesn't speak perfect English. And despite the fact that they might be having to put up with treatment like this...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/1858469.stm
...they are unlikely to have a claim for asylum accepted on just those grounds alone.
Vile racist attitudes persist in our country, and the British government ignores foreign governments persecuting people in this way. We have no justification in patting ourselves on the back at all just because we allow a few white gays and liberals stay in the UK because they have Bush in power, when we turn a blind eye to far worse abuse of human rights in the world, and send frightened people back to those regimes because they don't have the 'skills' or country needs economically.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index