U-Know! Forum »
Fuck you Julian Cope

100 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
duckbreath
254 posts

Re: Fuck you Julian Cope
Apr 07, 2005, 13:41
I don't think he is being fascist or racist. If you describe Europe or the USA as places of refuge for the disposessed where people are in theory all the same before the law and all entitled to privacy, self expression, free to join or start political parties and have a say in the nation's affairs - some of the people who will find refuge may not necessarily believe in the pluralistic aims of your society - there is a sense in which fundamentalist christians and muslims believe only in 'God's Law' and by their actions may put our freedoms at stake. I think Cope is right to be on the lookout for this and expressions of religious people who do not believe in our freedoms, separation of church and state, the bill of rights etc although I think that it is a fine line and people should definitely have the freedom to dissent from pluralism just not to threaten it or work against it - there are a lot of Christians/Muslims in America and Europe who would have church law as the only law - it's happening in the US with Bush's judicial appointees creating laws based on biblical justification rather than constitutional justification. You have to watch out for them and try to minimise their impact.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index