U-Know! Forum »
Fuck you Julian Cope

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zos
389 posts

Re: Fuck you Julian Cope
Apr 11, 2005, 22:24
Well, just my 2p, but JC seems to be a bit of a close-minded pagan fundamentalist when it comes to anything non-heathen. IIRC he wrote about having his daughter excluded from Religious Studies classes so that she didn't learn about Christianity. Which really pissed me off, especially since the modern RS curriculum has a lot more to do with thinking about ethical and moral issues and their relation to world religions (not just Christianity) than learning Christian dogma by rote...
Ether
104 posts

Apr 11, 2005, 23:51
Jokes about '7-11' are a bit tactless if you're expecting visa ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 12, 2005, 10:01
>> IIRC he wrote about having his daughter excluded from Religious Studies classes
>> so that she didn't learn about Christianity.

Not quite true. What he's said is that the kids don't go into assembly as it's a religious one. They do learn about Christianity (and many other religions for that matter) at home and they also get to learn about pagan stuff, which definitely isn't in any religious studies curriculum I've ever encountered. Fair enough, it's gonna be from his point of view and therefore not necessarily unbiased, but then we all teach our kids what we want them to learn and in the way that we want them to learn it. That's what being a parent is all about - passing on your own wisdom and experiences to your kids. Your kids are there to not only keep your DNA in the gene pool, but also to continue treating the world the way you believe it should be treated (just like the Bush family are doing :-) That's why such a big deal is made of having a 'black sheep' in the family.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Apr 12, 2005, 14:01
The whole black sheep thing tho is often about having an identified patient in the family that carries the whole families dysfunction, aart from that I don't actually like the expression anyway. But it is, I'll grant a well known euphemism
Zos
389 posts

Apr 12, 2005, 21:28
Ah, fair enough - thanks for enlightening me!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 13, 2005, 04:12
"Britain and Europe have been places of refuge and hope for millennia longer than the United States of America. And when America’s dispossessed gay people, Jewish people and liberal artistic communities run to Britain and Europe for sanctuary from the right wing’s New Theocracy, I’ve no doubt we shall happily make room for them all – and without too many smug smiles of self-congratulation. "

I'm sorry, but I find that overly optimistic. The furore about asylum seekers and immigration that has got this country in such a paranoid grip at the moment doesn't make me share your optimism at all. The only reason gay, Jewish or liberal people from America would be accepted is because they are English-speaking and generally white, and from a similarly wealthy country. Unfortunately gay people or Jewish people fleeing much worse persecution in countries in Africa or the Middle East are not welcomed with open arms at all. They're persecuted the same way as any asylum seeker with dark skin who doesn't speak perfect English. And despite the fact that they might be having to put up with treatment like this...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/1858469.stm
...they are unlikely to have a claim for asylum accepted on just those grounds alone.
Vile racist attitudes persist in our country, and the British government ignores foreign governments persecuting people in this way. We have no justification in patting ourselves on the back at all just because we allow a few white gays and liberals stay in the UK because they have Bush in power, when we turn a blind eye to far worse abuse of human rights in the world, and send frightened people back to those regimes because they don't have the 'skills' or country needs economically.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 13, 2005, 04:19
More for us Brits to be proud of...

http://outrage.nabumedia.com/pressrelease.asp?ID=265
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 13, 2005, 11:00
I offer no opinion, LL. I posted this piece of JC's writing to balance out the post that YerArse posted. He's hardly Uncle Sam's poodle if he writes the kind of stuff he's been writing over the last few years. I don't really agree with Julian about forcing people not to wear clothing appropriate to their beliefs, but to say he's some kind of right wing pro Bush nutcase is a mile wide of the mark.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 13, 2005, 21:05
I see. I didn't realise you were quoting Cope there, (lack of quotation marks). I thought that post was actually written by you.

In which case, it's Julian who's talking bollocks in the paragraph I picked up on.
cammyb
62 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 07:59
What can I say? Just another of my brethren upholding the SEe You Jimmy stereotype so brilliantly portrayed by Russ Abbot, the great English Satarist.......
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index