Wind Farm to be placed at 'Ancient' Site

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Half of Europe?
Jun 06, 2003, 17:39
Sorry, i gotta elaborate (though i have NO time... gotta dash across London to see 'my man').

Let's take the energy consumed in the transportation of food. The latest Swedish study concluded that 60% of all energy "consumed" by an average Swedish citizen is "consumed" by the internal combustion engines, and fossil-fuel fertlisers than go to put his/her food on the table. This *excludes* energy used by the person's personal automobile (which is broken out as a separate item).

Replacing the electricity used by our average Swede to light his/her home and watch the TV just ain't going to even begin addressing our energy problems. And the more we concentrate on that, the more we take our eye of the real ball.

HOWEVER, it's my contention that a huge slice of that "food-systems" energy can indeed be replaced using - say - windpower. This is not taken into account by any study i've ever read (which all seem to be obsessed with replacing one form of electricity generation with another, rather than looking at the energy issue as a whole). And i frankly think that's a pretty valid criticism of those studies.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index