Wind Farm to be placed at 'Ancient' Site

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Norfolk, Scotland etc
Jun 06, 2003, 16:45
In Scotland wind farms are few and far between compared to Wales (in proportion to the overall land mass). Not sure why this is, but I suspect it's a combination of politics and the cost of infrastructure.

As for my Norfolk comment, my point was that areas like Norfolk are pretty good for wind generation (look how well the Dutch have done with similar terrain) but they're not getting much in the way of wind farms. This is in part because hilly areas even better than Fenland for regular high winds, and the greater the wind, the greater the profit.

Avoiding areas like Norfolk is also a good way of minimising the negative publicity that any new wind farm generates. By focussing on sparsely populated areas, the level of objection is minimised. Is this a bad thing? It has the potential to be a bad thing, because counties like Ceredigion and Powys are now liberally splattered with wind installations (I counted 11 farms from the top of Pumlumon Fawr). It sets the local populace against wind power, because they're shouldering a disproportionate number of installations.

An even spread of wind installations would make more sense to me, perhaps including more built up areas. Nationalise the wind farms, chuck in some wave power, get people to stop pissing away their electricity, and we could really start decommissioning fossil fuel powered stations.

K x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index