Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Cover and conserve?
Jun 06, 2003, 14:33
Hi Grufty,

> There's no question that wind farms should
> be built with care and respect for the land...

I totally agree. Each case has to be looked at on its own merits. That's one of the reasons why the whole anti-windfarm lobby is so stupid. There's a definite NIMBY thing going on, especially here in Wales.

> ...but any delay in rolling out wind energy
> is ultimately hugely disrespectful towards
> the environment.

Yes, this is true, but only just.

The success of windfarms in the UK is entirely down to chance, and it's powered by greed rather than environmental conscience. The goverment wanted the nuclear industry to be more appealling to the private sector, so they set up financial incentives for 'clean' electricity generation (I know, it makes no sense but it's true). That's how wind power became financially viable here.

The UK has severely under funded research into alternative energy, but luckily other countries have done all the hard work with wind power. Hence, a quick buck can be made by the power companies on wind generation.

The real hidden resource for the UK is wave power, but dear old Mrs T cut back so severely on funding for research in this area, that it's not yet commercially viable. The other countries that the UK depended on for their wind power research don't have the same wave power potential, so we're up shit creek as far as pinching their technology goes.

What I'm trying to say is, wind power is just pissing in the wind as far as green electricity consumption goes. Real money needs to be invested in wave power, but it just ain't going to happen.

I live less than half a mile away from a small wind farm. That's about as close as anyone in the UK! I love it, and it causes me no significant problems in terms of noise pollution, tv signal etc. All I'm saying is, we have wind power in the UK by chance, and it's being selectively invested in for profit. Where there's no significant profit for the power companies, or a big population of potential NIMBY voters (such as in Norfolk or Cambridgeshire) nothing happens.

It's all a pile of crap, but I'll grant you, some good comes out of it. Now I'm really depressed.

Kammer x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index