Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2017, 10:04
Re: Change?
Jan 31, 2017, 08:09
spencer wrote:
'Scuse I while I wipe some Iron Age dogshit off me boot. Stubborn stuff that. Pity it doesn't turn to coprolites like you'd expect after all this time, otherwise I could use it for something, eg. catapulting it in the direction of some twatty little hareyrabbitybunthingy. I love a good stew.

Noted.

On reflection, I shouldn't have posted that piss-taking type post about reading/IA kennels. It was unfair and unjust.
Things get a bit ott on this forum at times.
In the same spirit of reconcilliation as on the other thread, perhaps any arguments/pops can be put to one side and there can be a fresh start?
Lifes too short.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 21:43
Fine by me. Yup, lets leave it there. We d o have a common love. NOT being critical, just observational, you don't seem to have much presence, having clicked on 'contributors', on proper site...remember you can be useful from a chair. Have a headscratch. Links? Places to stay? Facilities nearby? All equally good info, to me. (Yup, doghouses soon, Honest. No shit. Pity the nicest's got to be secret for now : ( )
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 22:04
spencer wrote:
Fine by me. Yup, lets leave it there. We d o have a common love. NOT being critical, just observational, you don't seem to have much presence, having clicked on 'contributors', on proper site...remember you can be useful from a chair. Have a headscratch. Links? Places to stay? Facilities nearby? All equally good info, to me. (Yup, doghouses soon, Honest. No shit. Pity the nicest's got to be secret for now : ( )

You're right, it is a common love.

No, it's ok I can understand you thinking that. But it's been an obsession of mine for nearly 20 years, it's taught me a lot (from what was a shitty secondary school 'education', if you can call it that), it's been an inspiration for music, provided an escape from the mundane, made me think 'til I can't think any longer, and also been a great comfort many times throughout my life.

I don't post photos, fieldnotes etc no, but I probably should do. I've been to hundreds of sites in the UK and Ireland. Not trying to 'show off' in any way(!) I promise you, I've just been lucky enough to experience a lot of these places. Ridiculous journeys, thousands of miles travelled, excited to get to what to most people are a few stones in a field.
Avebury remains my favourite. I know I should probably have some little tucked away site as my favourite (that'd be a lot cooler!) but Avebury blows me away every time, every visit.
I also have a particular love for Fernworthy and Assycombe on Dartmoor, and the Merrivale complex and.... ;)

Enough about me. Genuinely looking forward to hearing about stuff you've found!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 22:23
OK, understand now. There's the basis of a good profile there...yup, I want my stuff up now too. Life is not simple... Pity I can't, maybe never, post something that'd make the odd jaw drop. (Monty Python: say no more squire, nudge nudge, wink wink... : ( ) Darn d********sts etc. Still, l o a d s more out there. I keep saying it, but true, my way. Ex shooting estates, nobody thoroughly gone over since... there's still whole settlements, let alone cairns...and even then, I've seen stuff that's been wrongly ID'd. One day...
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 22:41
spencer wrote:
OK, understand now. There's the basis of a good profile there...yup, I want my stuff up now too. Life is not simple... Pity I can't, maybe never, post something that'd make the odd jaw drop. (Monty Python: say no more squire, nudge nudge, wink wink... : ( ) Darn d********sts etc. Still, l o a d s more out there. I keep saying it, but true, my way. Ex shooting estates, nobody thoroughly gone over since... there's still whole settlements, let alone cairns...and even then, I've seen stuff that's been wrongly ID'd. One day...

Can you post pics without giving the site location maybe? I'm not sure if it will allow you to create a site page without a map ref?
I think George may have posted some RA pics before without a proper ref, so he could get permission before giving the location out.

Yeah, bet theres plenty of stuff to discover on those estates.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 23:45
Nope. Not this one, or my 'best' doghouse. Just too risky. Sorry. Said I'd say zipped and will follow through.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 23:48
spencer wrote:
Nope. Not this one, or my 'best' doghouse. Just too risky. Sorry. Said I'd say zipped and will follow through.

Fair enough, totally understand that.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 01, 2017, 08:58
tiompan wrote:
[quote="carol27"
Now then can we discuss ley lines; dowsing, pyschoacoustics,faeries & witches?

[/quote]

Please do .
There was a time when metal detecting and doing “ritual “ was in there too but they seem to have become less acceptable these days .

I can't think of a case where anyone here thought discussion of these topics inappropriate .
If anything they have been encouraged .

But it does tend to lead to either personal attacks , flouncing off , or an unwillingness to actually get involved in a discussion by the proponents .

I'd like to confirm that's my recollection too.
The only thing that's ever been said is "please preface stuff like that with "IMO" and if you're going to accuse science of being baloney give us something to back it up.

This issue crossed my mind when reading this today:
https://www.propublica.org/article/devos-education-nominees-code-words-for-creationism-offshoot-raise-concerns

Sooner or later an intelligent designer will pop up here. I'd hope the above simple parameters would be used.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 01, 2017, 10:25
nigelswift wrote:
tiompan wrote:
[quote="carol27"
Now then can we discuss ley lines; dowsing, pyschoacoustics,faeries & witches?

[/quote]

Please do .
There was a time when metal detecting and doing “ritual “ was in there too but they seem to have become less acceptable these days .

I can't think of a case where anyone here thought discussion of these topics inappropriate .
If anything they have been encouraged .

But it does tend to lead to either personal attacks , flouncing off , or an unwillingness to actually get involved in a discussion by the proponents .

I'd like to confirm that's my recollection too.
The only thing that's ever been said is "please preface stuff like that with "IMO" and if you're going to accuse science of being baloney give us something to back it up.

This issue crossed my mind when reading this today:
https://www.propublica.org/article/devos-education-nominees-code-words-for-creationism-offshoot-raise-concerns

Sooner or later an intelligent designer will pop up here. I'd hope the above simple parameters would be used.

We seem to have been tipped from the problematic enough relativism into
the "alternative facts " arena.

What is telling is that while alt views are listened to here , there has never been any call for them to be silenced , even when the failure to produce the goods results in toys being thrown from pram .
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 01, 2017, 10:35
Be warned: It's addictive. :D

You'll be seeing them everywhere if you're not careful. ;) Strange shapes in old walls, unusual dips in road surfaces, random masonry in otherwise seemingly deserted areas... Yeah. That's me. :D

G x
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index