Change?

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Change?
Jan 30, 2017, 09:53
As a *ahem mumble* year old man - I don't like change. :D I seem to remember there being a discussion on this subject here many years back. A few changes were made, in fact. Not sure if the forum had any bearing on it. Took me ages to get used to though. :D But now it's all I know. It's so familiar.

As a web developer, I agree that a mobile version would be a great improvement, for a lot of reasons. And I'd be happy to help in any way I can to make this happen. :) Web trends change rapidly and new technologies are created regularly. A website only has a life of a couple of years, max, really, before it needs an overhaul. But then as mentioned somewhere above, there's probably not the resource for it! Or the need. It does what it needs to do. And if it doesn't, people have created their own websites to fulfil their needs. Which is fair.

I've not contributed for a while now - or not much, anyway - but still enjoy keeping myself up to date with the comings and goings. The forum itself goes through many changes of participants, for better or worse. It can get heated, yes, but then all online fora go through the same issues. It is a place for discussion. It should never become personal or insulting but there we go. We're all human. I think. ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 10:05
Confirmed.

Incidentally, why doesn't flounce mean flounce?

;)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 12:04
goffik wrote:

I've not contributed for a while now - or not much, anyway - but still enjoy keeping myself up to date with the comings and goings. The forum itself goes through many changes of participants, for better or worse. It can get heated, yes, but then all online fora go through the same issues. It is a place for discussion. It should never become personal or insulting but there we go. We're all human. I think. ;)

G x

Hello G, nice to read your post though I've only quoted the last paragraph. Nobody's mentioned 'sacred' wells (legends thereof) - would love to talk about them again from time to time. I sort of regret making reference to some of the tired old forum stuff that went on several years ago - I was probably not without fault myself. Its all water under the bridge - with hopefully a spring upstream.
All the best
tjj

PS: TMA works ok for me on my smart phone to just read, though I never use it to comment or post anything else.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 12:14
Hi June! Definitely water under the bridge. Great to hear from you. And I'm always happy to talk old wells! :) I need to get back into the game a bit more. Not been on many visits over the past few years. Probably time to change that. :) Hope all is good at your end! :)

G x
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 13:02
goffik wrote:
As a *ahem mumble* year old man - I don't like change. :D I seem to remember there being a discussion on this subject here many years back. A few changes were made, in fact. Not sure if the forum had any bearing on it. Took me ages to get used to though. :D But now it's all I know. It's so familiar.

As a web developer, I agree that a mobile version would be a great improvement, for a lot of reasons. And I'd be happy to help in any way I can to make this happen. :) Web trends change rapidly and new technologies are created regularly. A website only has a life of a couple of years, max, really, before it needs an overhaul. But then as mentioned somewhere above, there's probably not the resource for it! Or the need. It does what it needs to do. And if it doesn't, people have created their own websites to fulfil their needs. Which is fair.

G x

Hi Goff, well I suppose this thread allows people to get things off their chests, I don't want change, you get used to a particular format. As for all the ups and downs on the forum, think that the problem is to do with not being face to face and words getting misunderstood. But your wit is missed and though I know wells are normally always of 'disputed antiquity' it is good to see them.
The one on the moor a few miles from here is definitely modern pagan and probably has good provenance as it is next to a roman road.......

Moss X
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 13:14
goffik wrote:
As a web developer, I agree that a mobile version would be a great improvement, for a lot of reasons. And I'd be happy to help in any way I can to make this happen. :)

Someone somewhere should bit your hand off (not literally, obvs). It does work fine on a phone, but for those of us with failing eyesight it's really a bit small to read without having to keep enlarging.

Come and posts some wells.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 13:45
What would be genuinely useful for mobile would be easier integration of the kml into GE.
It can be done as is via a pc, but it's fairly painful.

I have a feeling that if there were a MA app, it running the xml in maps within the app is probably pie in the sky.
Would be good though.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 17:59
carol27 wrote:

I'm thankful for your Irish mothers stubborn streak tjj. Your posts often fire my interest & imagination, that's fer sure.

Apologies for not answering your kind comment sooner Carol. Thank you x

As it happens I am grateful for legacy left to me by my mother - in that she always railed against injustice.
carol27
747 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 18:06
[quote="goffik"]Hi June! Definitely water under the bridge. Great to hear from you. And I'm always happy to talk old wells! :) I need to get back into the game a bit more. Not been on many visits over the past few years. Probably time to change that. :) Hope all is good at your end! :)

Ah, wells have become an integral & lovely part of my adventuring thanks to stuff read on here.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2017, 01:32
Jan 31, 2017, 01:18
Eyup me chuffykins poppet, sorry for delay,'tis somewhere in the finds reporting topic, I think. Just a few words, mebe. Where: pass. Ask mrs woman (didn't pay her to repeat, btw, and my fluttering eyelashes aren't t h a t big....) I've not deleted anything. Too vain or lazy. 'Scuse I while I wipe some Iron Age dogshit off me boot. Stubborn stuff that. Pity it doesn't turn to coprolites like you'd expect after all this time, otherwise I could use it for something, eg. catapulting it in the direction of some twatty little hareyrabbitybunthingy. I love a good stew. They don't like it up 'em, y'know (discuss with examples - there may be exceptions) x
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index