28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 24, 2015, 18:26
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:
Why in my complicated life ( no more complicated than anyone else's , I hasten to add) does neolithic fill my soul? I'm not sure I should be so fanciful on this forum; but people around me talk about ghosts, & ufos, & faires & such & despite being Piscean, & left handed, it all seems like so much of a reason to try & explain our lives in a godless world. I don't believe in God, how can I, being female? Why does neolithic move me so? Is it, for the first time for a long while,since being a child, i feel connected to the collective unconscious, I like Jung:) Am I talking bollocks?
Why does a pile of stones calm me down?
Think I might regret this, but I'll post it anyway. C'est la vie:)

A lovely post Carol. I came to 'stones' via my proximity to Avebury and joined this forum very tentatively about a decade ago (I had only planned to dip my toe and run which is why I didn't come up with anything imaginative as a forum name). I've talked a fair share of bollocks during that time. One or two people here have had a profound influence on me (they know who they are) and over the past decade 'whimsy' has disappeared from my thoughts. Life is a journey isn't it and we are all influenced by our upbringing initially, then our peers. I would say 'unbelief' has taken me quite a long time to arrive at, almost a life-time but I got there in the end. It doesn't mean I don't believe in the 'magic' of the sun coming up through mist, morning dew on cobwebs, the flash of a fox or hare, a buzzard or kite circling a stone circle or long barrow. I think most of the stone circles (apart from Avebury) I have visited have usually been in remote, unspoiled places that are often difficult to get to - so it is the relationship of the ancient site to the landscape/skyscape around it that makes most of us feel in touch with something far bigger than ourselves - the universe I guess. Sometimes there is a sense of 'pilgrimage' too, just by getting there.
PS:
I still get a buzz from seeing Silbury come into view even though I see it a few times a week from the top deck of a bus. Avebury in the morning mist or the golden light of a late summer's evening always stirs something within.

Thankyou tjj. You've always been a sound voice for me on this forum & do you know why? Because I feel the pull of a female soul. Am I being fawning, sycophantic, maybe over emotional; you know all those things we fall prey to.That post of yours is poetic; some things can't just be described by "rationality" alone, no matter how we try:)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index