The Fundamental Shift

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2015, 17:43
The Fundamental Shift
Nov 24, 2015, 17:34
Why in my complicated life ( no more complicated than anyone else's , I hasten to add) does neolithic fill my soul? I'm not sure I should be so fanciful on this forum; but people around me talk about ghosts, & ufos, & faires & such & despite being Piscean, & left handed, it all seems like so much of a reason to try & explain our lives in a godless world. I don't believe in God, how can I, being female? Why does neolithic move me so? Is it, for the first time for a long while,since being a child, i feel connected to the collective unconscious, I like Jung:) Am I talking bollocks?
Why does a pile of stones calm me down?
Think I might regret this, but I'll post it anyway. C'est la vie:)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2015, 18:11
Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 24, 2015, 18:10
carol27 wrote:
Why in my complicated life ( no more complicated than anyone else's , I hasten to add) does neolithic fill my soul? I'm not sure I should be so fanciful on this forum; but people around me talk about ghosts, & ufos, & faires & such & despite being Piscean, & left handed, it all seems like so much of a reason to try & explain our lives in a godless world. I don't believe in God, how can I, being female? Why does neolithic move me so? Is it, for the first time for a long while,since being a child, i feel connected to the collective unconscious, I like Jung:) Am I talking bollocks?

A lovely post Carol. I came to 'stones' via my proximity to Avebury and joined this forum very tentatively about a decade ago (I had only planned to dip my toe and run which is why I didn't come up with anything imaginative as a forum name). I've talked a fair share of bollocks during that time. One or two people here have had a profound influence on me (they know who they are) and over the past decade 'whimsy' has disappeared from my thoughts. Life is a journey isn't it and we are all influenced by our upbringing initially, then our peers. I would say 'unbelief' has taken me quite a long time to arrive at, almost a life-time but I got there in the end. It doesn't mean I don't believe in the 'magic' of the sun coming up through mist, morning dew on cobwebs, the flash of a fox or hare, a buzzard or kite circling a stone circle or long barrow. I think most of the stone circles (apart from Avebury) I have visited have usually been in remote, unspoiled places that are often difficult to get to - so it is the relationship of the ancient site to the landscape/skyscape around it that makes most of us feel in touch with something far bigger than ourselves - the universe I guess. Sometimes there is a sense of 'pilgrimage' too, just by getting there.
PS:
I still get a buzz from seeing Silbury come into view even though I see it a few times a week from the top deck of a bus. Avebury in the morning mist or the golden light of a late summer's evening always stirs something within.
carol27
747 posts

Nov 24, 2015, 18:26
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:

A lovely post Carol. I came to 'stones' via my proximity to Avebury and joined this forum very tentatively about a decade ago (I had only planned to dip my toe and run which is why I didn't come up with anything imaginative as a forum name). I've talked a fair share of bollocks during that time. One or two people here have had a profound influence on me (they know who they are) and over the past decade 'whimsy' has disappeared from my thoughts. Life is a journey isn't it and we are all influenced by our upbringing initially, then our peers. I would say 'unbelief' has taken me quite a long time to arrive at, almost a life-time but I got there in the end. It doesn't mean I don't believe in the 'magic' of the sun coming up through mist, morning dew on cobwebs, the flash of a fox or hare, a buzzard or kite circling a stone circle or long barrow. I think most of the stone circles (apart from Avebury) I have visited have usually been in remote, unspoiled places that are often difficult to get to - so it is the relationship of the ancient site to the landscape/skyscape around it that makes most of us feel in touch with something far bigger than ourselves - the universe I guess. Sometimes there is a sense of 'pilgrimage' too, just by getting there.
PS:
I still get a buzz from seeing Silbury come into view even though I see it a few times a week from the top deck of a bus. Avebury in the morning mist or the golden light of a late summer's evening always stirs something within.

Thankyou tjj. You've always been a sound voice for me on this forum & do you know why? Because I feel the pull of a female soul. Am I being fawning, sycophantic, maybe over emotional; you know all those things we fall prey to.That post of yours is poetic; some things can't just be described by "rationality" alone, no matter how we try:)
carol27
747 posts

Nov 24, 2015, 18:38
carol27 wrote:
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:

PS:

Thankyou tjj. You've always been a sound voice for me on this forum & do you know why? Because I feel the pull of a female soul. Am I being fawning, sycophantic, maybe over emotional; you know all those things we fall prey to.That post of yours is poetic; some things can't just be described by "rationality" alone, no matter how we try:)

And "whimsy" detractors can piss off, who decides what's "whimsy" or not? That's the question.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 24, 2015, 22:09
carol27 wrote:

Why does neolithic move me so? Is it, for the first time for a long while,since being a child, i feel connected to the collective unconscious, I like Jung:) Am I talking bollocks?

Nothing to regret Carol, we are what we are. The Late Neolithic/Early BA does it for me. I feel 'closer' to the people of that time because I believe it was the moment in time when we 'began' our development from then to now. Save for the advances in technology I believe we were very much the same creature today as they were then. It was 'only' 4-4,500 years ago after all. Prior to that, for many people, we were seen as virtual 'savages', but surely it would have been a very slow development to go from that to our great ancestors that built the likes of Avebury in the Late Neo just as one example.
I feel a sense of loss when I visit a Neo circle or other monuments of the age for the first time. I want them to be still there and tell me what is was all about and have we come anywhere near to understanding them. Did they really have religion/study the heavens/have alignments. But they are not there and we have to look toward archaeology to give us clues, many which we doubt and think otherwise. Thinking otherwise is the beauty of the Neo for me also, because it teaches us that we don't always have to believe what we are told, because in truth, nobody really knows. I'm sure many have come close and even cracked it, but we may never know for sure and maybe that's how it should stay. But we don't like not knowing do we so we speculate and depending on who you are, that speculation can easily turn into virtual reality for them and accepted as the real deal and they move on without knowing if some of the other ideas were really wrong after all. Our own lives can be a bit of a mystery sometimes, what chance have we really got of truly understanding theirs?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 15:11
tjj wrote:
It doesn't mean I don't believe in the 'magic' of the sun coming up through mist, morning dew on cobwebs, the flash of a fox or hare, a buzzard or kite circling a stone circle or long barrow. I think most of the stone circles (apart from Avebury) I have visited have usually been in remote, unspoiled places that are often difficult to get to - so it is the relationship of the ancient site to the landscape/skyscape around it that makes most of us feel in touch with something far bigger than ourselves - the universe I guess. Sometimes there is a sense of 'pilgrimage' too, just by getting there.

I couldn't agree more. Journeys to the stones have reawakened an awareness of seasons and nature I misplaced in my teens, when bedroom miserabilism took over any interest in getting outside.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 16:14
"some things can't just be described by "rationality" alone, no matter how we try"

Nevertheless, let me try!
For me neolithic circles are more than functional, ergo they are also art, ergo they are attempts to express at the neolithic end and to receive at our end. Talking to your 250x gt granny is totally cool. Rational enough? ;)
carol27
747 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 17:01
nigelswift wrote:
"some things can't just be described by "rationality" alone, no matter how we try"

Nevertheless, let me try!
For me neolithic circles are more than functional, ergo they are also art, ergo they are attempts to express at the neolithic end and to receive at our end. Talking to your 250x gt granny is totally cool. Rational enough? ;)

Yep, that'll do nicely:)
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 19:44
Have you ever tried registering activity within the stones and with what results? I know that when I visit some sites seem to be full of chatter and voices in the wind, very much alive. Others are, forgive the pun, stone dead. I personally don't know how to communicate with them do I try divining (what would I be looking for?) detecting unusual magnetic or electrical impulses, I have no idea, all I know is that I am strangely drawn to them and feel rather like one of the respondents to your post that there is not really very much difference between 'them' and us other than the way we organise our lives through technology and the substitution of the natural order for religion. I find it even more difficult to articulate as I personally have no religious or spiritual leanings only a belief in the seasons, the passage of time and community
It is fanciful, it is what gets you locked away from society, however, it still calls and I really want to respond
CARL
511 posts

Nov 26, 2015, 13:23
I have always been interested in history and pre-history in particular. Generally speaking - the older the better! I have always felt like this, as long as I can remember. In fact my parents told of of times (before I can remember) where I would get excited by seeing an old bit of Roaman road / wall etc. Visiting sites (both historic and pre-historic) helps connect us with the past. People are people - we aare now as they were - no better no worse. The great thing (for me) about visiting 'old stones' is you get to see some wonderful parts of the country you wouldn't otherwise visit. Beautiful countryside, some even remote and wild. Just think, a large chunk of the population rarely set foot outside of their urban enviroment. They never see or experience what we do, the sights, sounds, smells of nature. We get excited by seeing a bird of prey hovering overhead or watching the sun set over the hills from a stone circle. They get excited by a 20% sale at their local retail outlet! We are fortunate people my friends.......
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index