The Fundamental Shift

28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 26, 2015, 17:02
CARL wrote:
I have always been interested in history and pre-history in particular. Generally speaking - the older the better! I have always felt like this, as long as I can remember. In fact my parents told of of times (before I can remember) where I would get excited by seeing an old bit of Roaman road / wall etc. Visiting sites (both historic and pre-historic) helps connect us with the past. People are people - we aare now as they were - no better no worse. The great thing (for me) about visiting 'old stones' is you get to see some wonderful parts of the country you wouldn't otherwise visit. Beautiful countryside, some even remote and wild. Just think, a large chunk of the population rarely set foot outside of their urban enviroment. They never see or experience what we do, the sights, sounds, smells of nature. We get excited by seeing a bird of prey hovering overhead or watching the sun set over the hills from a stone circle. They get excited by a 20% sale at their local retail outlet! We are fortunate people my friends.......

I've never been interested in pre history; not neolithic anyway, not having been taught it in school. It's not necessarily their fault, they're " given" a syllabus to teach. It's like Hardy, it should be mandatory ( tongue in cheek ). I feel a bit pissed off at times that I learnt stuff about kings & queens & the industrial revolution, but not our true history. Of course, it's not a given fact that it would have grabbed me then anyway.
Maybe that's what makes it all the more special now, cos it's exciting & new to me; & better still it's actually physically out there to explore. It is also about getting outside in nature. It's healthy & life affirming I think. I've always known this but can be quite insular & lazy. It's been a few weeks now, time to move.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index