Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2015, 10:39
Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 29, 2015, 10:35
Monganaut wrote:
If anyone fancies a good read about prehistory then I recommend Francis Pryor's 'Home'; he may come across as a bit of a blowhard on Time Team but he sure knows his Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze/Iron Ages.
Funnily enough, just picked the book up from the library this very afternoon after having it reserved for ages. Enjoyed his other books 'BC' and 'Seahenge' immensely, so here's hoping this reads as well
Also picked up Phillip Marsden's 'On Rising Ground', which seems to be about the spirit of place....mostly relating to Cornwall by the look of chapter headings. Should be good.
Also an interesting sounding treatise called 'On Silbury' Hill by Adam Thorpe. Know his novels, but not read any of his factual/poetry stuff, looking forward to that as well.

Just to say how much I enjoyed the other post you made under this thread Monganaut.
'Home' and 'On Rising Ground' both sound good, will start dropping hints ...
'On Silbury Hill' was Book of the Week on R4, earlier this year (or maybe last year, time flies).
Am currently in the closing chapters of Neil Oliver's first historical novel about the siege of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks a story of "honour, betrayal and destiny". He did manage to start it in the Borderlands of Scotland, a stone circle and neolithic burial chamber get a mention (Chapter 9 I think). Wasn't sure about his style at first but once he gets into his stride it is a cracking good read.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index