28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 24, 2015, 22:09
carol27 wrote:

Why does neolithic move me so? Is it, for the first time for a long while,since being a child, i feel connected to the collective unconscious, I like Jung:) Am I talking bollocks?
Why does a pile of stones calm me down?
Think I might regret this, but I'll post it anyway. C'est la vie:)

Nothing to regret Carol, we are what we are. The Late Neolithic/Early BA does it for me. I feel 'closer' to the people of that time because I believe it was the moment in time when we 'began' our development from then to now. Save for the advances in technology I believe we were very much the same creature today as they were then. It was 'only' 4-4,500 years ago after all. Prior to that, for many people, we were seen as virtual 'savages', but surely it would have been a very slow development to go from that to our great ancestors that built the likes of Avebury in the Late Neo just as one example.
I feel a sense of loss when I visit a Neo circle or other monuments of the age for the first time. I want them to be still there and tell me what is was all about and have we come anywhere near to understanding them. Did they really have religion/study the heavens/have alignments. But they are not there and we have to look toward archaeology to give us clues, many which we doubt and think otherwise. Thinking otherwise is the beauty of the Neo for me also, because it teaches us that we don't always have to believe what we are told, because in truth, nobody really knows. I'm sure many have come close and even cracked it, but we may never know for sure and maybe that's how it should stay. But we don't like not knowing do we so we speculate and depending on who you are, that speculation can easily turn into virtual reality for them and accepted as the real deal and they move on without knowing if some of the other ideas were really wrong after all. Our own lives can be a bit of a mystery sometimes, what chance have we really got of truly understanding theirs?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index