Stone circle etiquette

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Stone circle etiquette
Feb 28, 2015, 00:31
nigelswift wrote:
...As for the access/conservation issue, yes they are mutually exclusive and mutually destructive so letting either have full dominance makes no sense. So it has to be a compromise, depending on circumstances. Access where the damage is limited, restrictions where it's significant.....

Agree with that. In my opinion access should be managed according to the circumstances prevalent at individual sites.... a 'one size fits all policy' will, naturally, merely antagonise every interested party. We need that precious local knowledge to strike that balance. The authorities need to know their charges. For example any hill walkers amongst us will know that, although a car park is essential to cater for punters wanting to climb Snowdon from Pen-y-Pass, building the same beneath, say, Aran Fawddwy would be a waste of tax payers money. Superb mountain, but doesn't get the traffic.

I'm well aware I'm an antisocial bastard to all - but the clearly curious- at prehistoric sites. Doesn't mean I think I'm 'better' than them, just that I don't know the appropriate riposte, what to say (without being rude). Lacking that 'connection'. In other words people who visit sites others hold to be very important - when they do not - need to realise that getting annoyed because someone is buggering up your photo opportunities for the folks back home is not really on. We need to talk to each other. Consider if I walked into a church, a mosque, a synagogue... and said ... architecture's great... but, let's face it. Everything you believe is bollocks, so go away and let me take a picture for my mum....
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index