Stone circle etiquette

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Stone circle etiquette
Feb 20, 2015, 23:45
ironstone wrote:
Broadly agree with you; I've no problem at all with people wanting to spend all day at a site if that's the way it works for them. There are some places that demand you spend more than a few minutes where I've been blessedly lucky to have Callanish, Brodgar and Machrie Moor all to myself for as long as I wanted, on each occasion over an hour. Whether you're there for five mins to take snaps or like to take longer (including taking a few photos) you're entitled to the same consideration you would give others and that includes being aware enough not to encroach if you don't have to. That's particularly the case at the smaller sites where I agree that generally speaking the bigger, the more having other people in shot is par for the course.
Strikes me you're the aware sort so I shan't mind if I encounter you on one of my visits......

A point for debate, perhaps? Are prehistoric sites still 'sacred' places - however you might define that? - or are they now irrelevant, of no use in assisting human beings relating to life on this planet? Simply museum pieces from a bygone age?

I happen to experience what could be described as 'spirituality' at these places... a feeling that somehow the world does mean something. Not in a concrete, definable, measurable sense of course, but within that bizarre, (currently) unfathomable world of introspection. Just electrical pulses. But guess the point is this is the medium we've always used, so for me these sites are still relevant, doing their job.

So would I consider moving if some ignorant, loudmouth, gobshite tourist demanded a 'clean' photo for the folks back home? No. For some quiet, considerate person wanting to take something home to rekindle some warm feeling later? Without question, yes.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index