Stone circle etiquette

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Stone circle etiquette
Feb 26, 2015, 22:06
Some people might suggest that the language of poets is Welsh :)

GLADMAN wrote:
..... My view, for what it's worth, is that any method of 'conservation' that fundamentally limits or, in some cases - as with the Ministry of Works' appalling prison bars - utterly destroys the ability of human beings to interact with monuments, by definition negates any attempt at deciphering what their inherent meaning may have been. The whole point? For me, monuments where access is excluded/restricted might as well not exist, like the masterpiece of art locked away in a millionaire's private collection. In short they become irrelevant piles of old stones. Albeit nice and tidy. With signs to keep the ungodly off the grass so punters can enjoy a nicely packaged 'prehistoric experience', perhaps?

Yes, I agree that no-one likes their access to be restricted - it's basically the only reason I've still never been to Stonehenge despite being an EH member.

But equally you can't have unrestricted access but then say that it's only really allowed to those who understand (however you define that) the monuments or follow some unwritten code of etiquette. Unlimited and unrestricted access - at its most benign - must include the casual tourists and the commercially minded photographers, every bit as much as the obsessive stoneheads. Otherwise it just becomes elitist.

In any case, the packaged "prehistoric experience" might very well be the first site that leads someone to investigate further and take a greater interest. Many of the State-managed sites are very welcoming places, because you know there's no access issues or irritated landowner to worry about. Capel Garmon, Bryn Celli Ddu, Maiden Castle, Balnuaran of Clava, there's bags of charm and atmosphere at all of them, despite their relative "tidiness". Most people who get obsessed with these places probably started off with a managed or maintained show site (Arbor Low for me) whereas a grubby ploughed-down barrow in a muddy field may spark little or no interest in seeing more.

"Interaction" is even thornier. Human interaction with monuments can mean almost anything. It can be, in effect become "do what thou will shall be the whole of the law". So the rebuilding of cairns into shelters, the lighting of fires in circles, the tealights, the oil, the offerings tat, all of that is interaction and a lot of people will tell you there's nothing "wrong" with any of it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index