The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stone circle etiquette

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Stone circle etiquette
Feb 19, 2015, 20:46
Guess it depends upon how you approach a visit to a site; whether you see it as something 'nice' to look around for a few minutes and take a few pictures, place a tick in the box .... a hobby.... or something that has the potential to profoundly move you. Whether that be on an aesthetic level - the shape, dimension, grain, texture of the stones - or in relation to where the monument is located, the backdrop, the way your attention is drawn to other points of the landscape... the sound of water, perhaps?

I'm very much the latter and like to spend all the time I have available on site, usually several hours or more, watching the changing light, moving shadows (on the rare sunny days) and cloudscapes. I think it may well be that I'm slow on the uptake and need a while for things to sink in, whilst others can appreciate scenarios in a limited time. Guess you are what you are. I have no problem with other visitors as long as they are quiet and respectful to the surroundings. If they aren't, that is a different story. There have been a number of incidents, much less so now since I try to visit popular sites early morning or dusk.

In my opinion prehistoric sites are for everyone showing respect for others, and I would be gladdened to see a man or woman so into the vibe as to be sitting in silence taking it all in. Much better than barely interested tourists. Mind you it is an extremely rare occurrence in my experience. I usually make it clear that I'm here for the duration but happy to move for a while to allow clear camera angles.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index