35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Best site visited 2014
Jan 01, 2015, 18:01
spencer wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT YOUTUBE VID. I'm a railway buff too, walked over Big Water of Fleet viaduct in September, must get my pics uploaded to Flickr. Closure of the Port Line was madness, even evil. (bye the bye, my late Dad was one of the Mulberry boffins.. I went to Garlieston for a look)

The Big Water Of Fleet is a magnificent bit of structure and a regular autumn walk for me (despite rumours - it never featured in Hitchcock's 39 Steps). There are Golden Eagles on the Clints of Dromore above the railtrack there.
The Mulberry remains were full and upstanding until eight or nine years back. Still some stumps visible at very low tide. It is still on Bing's Satellite imaging of the area.

http://binged.it/17647m0

I always found the Big Mulberry structure in Rigg Bay a strange (almost timeless) feature. It could be seen from across Wigtown Bay on Cambret Hill (at the masts). The remains of other Mulberry structures such as Beetles and Bouys are still scattered along the coastline. Back in October we had a barbecue on one of the Beetles.
For me the magic of Galloway is its well preserved Stones, tombs and RA, its strange remoteness AND its secret WWII work (the massive port near Cairnryan with its huge railway station and junction, buildings etc have simply sank back into the landscape and been reclaimed by Nature). There is hardly a bend in any road there where there isn't something to stop and have a look at.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index