35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Best site visited 2014
Dec 25, 2014, 23:36
Meallach's Grave - July 2014

Our usual Arran summer holiday jaunt. A sunny wander round the woods and burns at Monamore led us up to a whole hillside that had been clear felled. My 12 year old boy found his first wild lizard. On the way back down to the car and hungry for our tea at the Lamlash Bay Hotel I noticed the sign for Meallach's Grave. I hadn't been up there in quarter of a century. My better half and the wee fella wandered on down to the car and I made the wee detour to call on Meallach.
As the last few feet of the climb drew me on to the site, the North Arran peaks all reared up and peered over the long spine of A' Chruach. Twenty feet below and you wouldn't see any of the tops, and when the forestry was there you saw nothing. At the site all the forestry and fern, heather and branches which had so cluttered up the place were gone. The trees which hemmed in the place had vanished. A kerb feature which I'd not seen before was evident. The whole place had been transformed.
It was a wonderful, unexpected visit made better by the opening up and clearing of the site. I practically bounded back to the car with joy in my steps. The freshly-made pizza and ice-cold pint of a popular Italian lager capped it all off.
Cheers Meallach!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index