Best site visited 2014

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Best site visited 2014
Dec 31, 2014, 12:49
My first solo holiday in over twenty years, when work got the better of me in Sept saw me visit Dumfries and Galloway for the first time. What a really wonderful part of the world, and seemingly lightly visited by TMAers with the exception of GLADMAN, Postman and ironstone in recent times. Those who can: GO. Cairnholy was a must see, and delivered - Cairnholy 2's my current avatar - but even this was exeeded in ambience by the Mull of Galloway. On a sunny evening stand on top of Lagvag cairn, Scotland's most southerly archaeological feature, and look across to the IoM, Ireland, Lakeland, the Solway and Whithorn...you can ignore the presence of the ill-sited storage tank for the lighthouse alongside. Just take it in. The linear defences that cross the isthmus south of East and West Tarbet bays are also worthy of a very good explore, and are of national noteworthiness. I also had a good wander round the sheltered area on the E side of the Mull, and found patches of sorrel, as on previous visits to sites on Scotland's West Coast, and I am convinced this is an indicator of ancient habitation. There are other attractions for those visiting with people less interested in the archaeo side.. climbing the lighthouse and descending the steps to the cliff edge foghorn is a must, as is the Gallie Craig shop/restauraut, which has been blended into the hillside...and you can stay in the lighthouse cottages at very reasonable rates, particularily out of termtime. This site has been comparably little excavated, although gold items were found in the C19. If Time Team were ever to do a Mick Aston memorial dig it is this place that would get my vote. Stunning.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index