Best site visited 2014

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Best site visited 2014
Dec 23, 2014, 19:50
If "the Pembrokeshire Coast" counts as a site, then that's my favourite seeing as we walked about 170 miles of it this year, the main achievement of a year beset with various difficulties.

As to individual sites, there's loads as ever, probably need to look back properly. Off the top of my head, for each of the three countries:

England

We went to a bunch of Ridgeway sites this year, of which a return to Wayland's Smithy was probably the highlight. Best "new to me" site was the re-erected Carwynnen Quoit in Cornwall, great effort from those who made it happen. Honourable mention also to Stoney Littleton.

Scotland

Ord Hill chambered tombs near Lairg vying with golden evening sun at Druidtemple for top spot. Strichen with Drew was ace too, especially as it followed our nearly-visit to Loudon Wood :)

Wales

The coast has occupied much of our efforts and cash, including loads of cliff forts. Loads of scenic highlights on the way round. South Wales overall highlight was probably Carningli and the long walk over to Parc y Meirw from there. Pentre Ifan gets a special mention too.

North Wales has eluded me more this year and funds and other domestic crappery has precluded as many trips with Postie as I would have liked. Cupmark hunting in the mist was lots of fun, Carnedd y Saeson probably the best single site despite the lack of views. Mynydd Mawr was the best mountain, but the best mountain view came from the summit of Creigiau Gleision when the cloud lifted to reveal Tryfan and all.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index