Stonehenge TV programme

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Re: Stonehenge TV programme
Sep 13, 2014, 11:26
Haven't seen it yet. Expectations were so low given past pronouncements from this team. Put it on record to watch later though.

The problems produced by the few make it a real shame for the other people who have worked on the project.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 13, 2014, 18:04
jonmor wrote:
Haven't seen it yet. Expectations were so low given past pronouncements from this team. Put it on record to watch later though.

The problems produced by the few make it a real shame for the other people who have worked on the project.

What has been discovered beneath the surface is excellent though Jon and should now possibly be excavated, especially the claimed mortuary enclosure. Where they take it too far (in my opinion) is then trying to explain everything at the same time and bring in the alignments which are always open to question. One step at a time like it always used to be in archaeology, then everyone puts their heads together to look at the possibilities and meanings, not decided upon as it happens so to speak.
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Sep 14, 2014, 08:38
Sanctuary wrote:

What has been discovered beneath the surface is excellent though Jon and should now possibly be excavated, especially the claimed mortuary enclosure.

Possibly. The concern about excavation would always be that someone would excavate with a view to proving X (eg mortuary in this instance) and, while doing that, destroy the evidence for Y (other explanations for what might have happened)

So to excavate, in my opinion, you have to establish a potential social benefit to doing excavation other than the entertainment value of knowing whether or not the fanciful explanation is true.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 14, 2014, 09:30
jonmor wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

What has been discovered beneath the surface is excellent though Jon and should now possibly be excavated, especially the claimed mortuary enclosure.

Possibly. The concern about excavation would always be that someone would excavate with a view to proving X (eg mortuary in this instance) and, while doing that, destroy the evidence for Y (other explanations for what might have happened)

So to excavate, in my opinion, you have to establish a potential social benefit to doing excavation other than the entertainment value of knowing whether or not the fanciful explanation is true.

Can't say that's stopped them much in the past, although to be fair, much more thought does seem to go into things these days!! No doubt it will be the same old story though if they do set their minds on doing it, it will be done, if only to draw even more of the public into handing over more of their hard earned!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 18, 2014, 18:54
CARL wrote:
A 'heads up' about a two part programme about what lies underneath Stonehenge. I think the first episode is on Thursday - Ch4 - 8/9pm?
Bit vague I know but I left my TV guide at home!

A further heads-up for part 2 of 2 of 'Operation Stonehenge' tonight at 8pm BBC2
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 19, 2014, 21:15
Sanctuary wrote:
CARL wrote:
A 'heads up' about a two part programme about what lies underneath Stonehenge. I think the first episode is on Thursday - Ch4 - 8/9pm?
Bit vague I know but I left my TV guide at home!

A further heads-up for part 2 of 2 of 'Operation Stonehenge' tonight at 8pm BBC2

Any comments to make on the second part shown last night? I kept nodding off to be honest but took notice when they showed the gold objects right toward the end. The minute work carried out with the most basic of tools was phenomenal but I thought the comment made that 'More prehistoric gold objects have been found in the region surrounding Stonehenge than anywhere else in Britain' rather misleading and just trying to add to its importance to big the site up even more. The fact is that nowhere else has ever been excavated as much as SH so it may be no different to many other sites or areas.
All in all I don't think it fully came up to its billing. What do you think?
Mantid
100 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 17:42
I'm too ignorant on the subject to critique much, but as someone subjected to the appalling tripe that is American "documentary" television (such as the Discovery Channel and the -cringe- "History" Channel), I have to say this seemed quite above average.

The CG was a bit much, the music was a bit much, the shamanic re-enactment was... well, could have been worse I suppose... but overall, it did catch my interest and I can only imagine it did the same for a select number of younger folks considering their interests and careers.

This was not likely aimed at readers of this forum, so surely you are all disappointed. I am trying to keep my perspective that of a typical tv-watcher... and I suspect this show gets at least passing marks in that regard.

I guess now we just have to get government and public in general to have any kind of interest in exploring the past and planning for a reasonable future, no problem, right?
CARL
511 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 13:06
I am no expert on Stonehenge (or any other prehitoric site for that matter) but I thought the programme was ok. I thought part 2 was better than part 1 and I liked the CGI showing how the site may have looked when newly built. I am sure this programme would have appealed to the majority of the viewers and perhaps given some of them a greater appreciation of ancient sites in general which muct be a good thing. It was certainly better than most of the rubbish which passes for 'entertainment' on TV.
tomwatts
376 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 22:35
......So......nobody had previously checked to see whether there were stones in the appropriate places to complete a circle...?
tomwatts
376 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 23:14
......So......nobody had previously checked to see whether there were stones in the appropriate places to complete a circle...?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index