Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Stonehenge TV programme
Sep 10, 2014, 14:16
tiompan wrote:
This goes some way to explain how the hasty and wishful thinking has led to the error .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29126854
“The Cursus is aligned in the East-West direction, and the pits were found one in each end, pointing to Dusk and Dawn .”
If the cursus ran due east to west then the thinking that the pits, if bisected , would provide a north south line makes some sense but the pits ,like the cursus , are not aligned due east to west . They and it are over 5 degrees off due east /west , not much , but over the distance of the 2,000 m between the pits this adds up to an error of 190 m .The error is compounded by the western pit not being on the alignment of the sunset as seen from the heel stone as claimed .

Thanks for this Tiompan, I always read your posts here but confess much of this particular discussion has gone over my head. As mentioned in my previous post I walked through the various meadows between Woodhenge and Stonehenge just the other day. I had never seen Stonehenge from those distances before and came away with a completely different perspective to the one I had before. All those thousands of visitors are being sold short to some extent - Stonehenge has to be approached from afar to gain the full impact and 'sense of place'. And that means walking to the start of the Avenue or viewing it from the 'long' Cursus. I will watch the programme and probably forget most of it soon after. I'm not an archaeologist, nor do I want to be - but I do live in Wiltshire with its two major Stone Circles, its unique Silbury and evidence of 'death/burial rituals' everywhere in the landscape. I just have an ordinary (unqualified though not uninformed) person's interest.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 14:17
The images of the new discoveries on the BBC link are very exciting. Will be interested to see how it's all presented over the 2 hours of TV. Shame they couldn't have waited for excavation/dates though.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 14:53
Right next to the Stonehenge piece in the Guardian..

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/sep/10/wild-extrapolation-classification-system-science-media-scepticism
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 17:03
tjj wrote:
CARL wrote:
A 'heads up' about a two part programme about what lies underneath Stonehenge. I think the first episode is on Thursday - Ch4 - 8/9pm?
Bit vague I know but I left my TV guide at home!

This link has some helpful graphics

The other day I walked from Durrington/Woodhenge to Stonehenge and back along the site of the Cursus. What struck me most was that Stonehenge was designed to be viewed from afar - the walk gave me a far better insight into why Stonehenge is so important than 'getting up close' had ever done before. I will be watching the programme.
PS: Programme is on BBC2 "Operation Stonehenge - What Lies Beneath" - (Thursday at 8.00pm)

I saw some excerpts from the programme on Breakfast this morning and it looks very interesting. Seems things going on in the area for much longer than first thought.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 20:22
Nice bit in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/hidden-henge-archaeologists-discover-huge-stonehenge-sibling-nearby-9722087.html
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Sep 10, 2014, 21:11
Sep 10, 2014, 21:08
quote="tjj"]
tiompan wrote:
This goes some way to explain how the hasty and wishful thinking has led to the error .
“The Cursus is aligned in the East-West direction, and the pits were found one in each end, pointing to Dusk and Dawn .”
If the cursus ran due east to west then the thinking that the pits, if bisected , would provide a north south line makes some sense but the pits ,like the cursus , are not aligned due east to west . They and it are over 5 degrees off due east /west , not much , but over the distance of the 2,000 m between the pits this adds up to an error of 190 m .The error is compounded by the western pit not being on the alignment of the sunset as seen from the heel stone as claimed .

Thanks for this Tiompan, I always read your posts here but confess much of this particular discussion has gone over my head. As mentioned in my previous post I walked through the various meadows between Woodhenge and Stonehenge just the other day. I had never seen Stonehenge from those distances before and came away with a completely different perspective to the one I had before. All those thousands of visitors are being sold short to some extent - Stonehenge has to be approached from afar to gain the full impact and 'sense of place'. And that means walking to the start of the Avenue or viewing it from the 'long' Cursus. I will watch the programme and probably forget most of it soon after. I'm not an archaeologist, nor do I want to be - but I do live in Wiltshire with its two major Stone Circles, its unique Silbury and evidence of 'death/burial rituals' everywhere in the landscape. I just have an ordinary (unqualified though not uninformed) person's interest.[/quote]

I think you underestimate your knowledge June. In truth you probably know as much about SH as anyone else does because it is forever changing. Nowhere has there ever been a place so subject to continual change of ideas with no doubt much much more to come. One moment it's this, then it's that, then it's something else, that's where the public are short-changed IMO. It never ends. As I've said many times before, it's a shame the money spent on it isn't shared around more as we might find out that there are many other places just as mysterious and interesting in other parts of the country waiting to be discovered, not just this cash-cow.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2014, 08:14
Re: Stonehenge teeming with chapels and shrines
Sep 11, 2014, 08:13
Also the Guardian... a bit of defleshing as well....

"One of the most striking monuments to emerge from the survey was a 33 metre-long burial mound containing a massive wooden building whose timber foundations – and a giant upright blocking its entrance – were spotted in the soil. Predating Stonehenge, the building is thought to have been a house of the dead where bizarre burial rituals were played out. "The rituals included exposure of the dead bodies, and defleshing on a large forecourt," said Wolfgang Neuber, at the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute. The house was later covered in chalk and finally became a curious white landmark."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/10/stonehenge-teeming-chapels-shrines-archaeology-research

The article gives a dozen images of what has been found, but not on the online version, which is a shame..
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Stonehenge teeming with chapels and shrines
Sep 11, 2014, 08:50
moss wrote:
Also the Guardian... a bit of defleshing as well....

"One of the most striking monuments to emerge from the survey was a 33 metre-long burial mound containing a massive wooden building whose timber foundations – and a giant upright blocking its entrance – were spotted in the soil. Predating Stonehenge, the building is thought to have been a house of the dead where bizarre burial rituals were played out. "The rituals included exposure of the dead bodies, and defleshing on a large forecourt," said Wolfgang Neuber, at the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute. The house was later covered in chalk and finally became a curious white landmark."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/10/stonehenge-teeming-chapels-shrines-archaeology-research

The article gives a dozen images of what has been found, but not on the online version, which is a shame..

That'll be an interesting one to excavate. This is rather like the 'Mapping Egypt' programme that was on TV about a year ago which was very good
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13522957, especially as Liz Bonnin was in it ;-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 11, 2014, 21:01
aargh.

What was a brilliant opportunity to present some relative new discoveries in a factual way became the usual opinion-as-fact "ceremonial" blah blah blah.

Disappointing, despite the excellent landscapes. And too many hairy CGI people. One of whom was Robert Plant.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 11, 2014, 21:19
thesweetcheat wrote:
aargh.

What was a brilliant opportunity to present some relative new discoveries in a factual way became the usual opinion-as-fact "ceremonial" blah blah blah.

Disappointing, despite the excellent landscapes. And too many hairy CGI people. One of whom was Robert Plant.

Totally agree Alken. Going to watch it again to see if it's better second time around. BTW, you left out the favoured word...ritual :-)
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index