tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Stonehenge TV programme
Sep 09, 2014, 15:53
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Interesting that there was no mention of the Heel stone in the clip , as this was considered as the the observing point of the alignment over the sites of the pits (despite one being unsighted from the monument ) to the solstices when the idea was first mooted .One of these was correct the other ,the unsighted western pit , wrong . Have they accepted the mistake and now changing the "alignments" to a far less accurate "Stonehenge " . The pits have never been excavated , never mind dated yet the are mentioned as being part of the reason for the building of the monument " 400 years later " .It gets worse .

I remember reading the discussion on the portal some time ago. If the criticisms made at that time regarding the heel stone as observation point have been addressed by moving to 'stonehenge' in general, as you suggest as a possiblity, then we are looking at a pretty desperate situation. Add to that unexcavated, undated pits(!) what is there left to say?

It seems like the old story of gilding the lily . They have done lot of geofizz got the results ,and not only the pits , great . If and when some of the sites are excavated we could maybe have something really interesting .But they had to add the fantasy interpretation , and got it wrong . To get notice ? to help with further funding ?

I suppose the reason for throwing in the sensational depends upon on whose attention you are trying to grab, and for what purpose.
I'm sure the mechanisms involved with funding via media companies can be pretty jaundiced, but as you say, there is incredible potential in the work carried out so far. Why not wait a bit for the excavations, dates etc build upon those and produce something with real integrity?

They might never have got the permission to excavate without the exposure ,and they might never have got the exposure with just the geofizz minus the stories .

It looks like the Blicks Mead excavation will also be part of the prog ,which might leaven the incredulity .

Here's another supposedly serious suggestion from part of the team .
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23286928
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 15:54
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Another from Henry Chapman ,part of the team "If you measure the walking distance between the two pits, the procession would reach exactly half-way at midday, when the sun would be directly on top of Stonehenge. This is more than just a coincidence, indicating that the exact length of the Cursus and the positioning of the pits are of significance." This is easily shown to be wrong from all counts/points and involves an incredibly leisurely procession of which there is absolutey no evidence in any direction never mind tempo .

It's incredible. I mean, really, in the true meaning of that word.
How did this idea manage to find life beyond the first 10 minutes of those on the project discussing it?

Tempo - classic. Perhaps snails were leading the ceremonies?

Blinfolded hopping whilst carrying bluestones .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 16:17
tiompan wrote:

Here's another supposedly serious suggestion from part of the team .
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23286928

Dave Cowley, aerial survey projects manager at RCAHMS, said:

"It is remarkable to think that our aerial survey may have helped to find the place where time itself was invented."
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 16:31
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Another from Henry Chapman ,part of the team "If you measure the walking distance between the two pits, the procession would reach exactly half-way at midday, when the sun would be directly on top of Stonehenge. This is more than just a coincidence, indicating that the exact length of the Cursus and the positioning of the pits are of significance." This is easily shown to be wrong from all counts/points and involves an incredibly leisurely procession of which there is absolutey no evidence in any direction never mind tempo .

How did this idea manage to find life beyond the first 10 minutes of those on the project discussing it?

along a specially prepared salted pathway
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 16:45
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Snails/ Dodmen doing the surveying , well , according to Watkins .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2014, 17:13
Sep 09, 2014, 16:56
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Snails/ Dodmen doing the surveying , well , according to Watkins .

aye, the dodman surveyor!

funny you should mention it, where I come from snails are sometimes called 'oddy-dodds' rather than dodmen.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 10, 2014, 08:42
Sep 10, 2014, 08:29
CARL wrote:
A 'heads up' about a two part programme about what lies underneath Stonehenge. I think the first episode is on Thursday - Ch4 - 8/9pm?
Bit vague I know but I left my TV guide at home!

This link has some helpful graphics
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29126854

The other day I walked from Durrington/Woodhenge to Stonehenge and back along the site of the Cursus. What struck me most was that Stonehenge was designed to be viewed from afar - the walk gave me a far better insight into why Stonehenge is so important than 'getting up close' had ever done before. I will be watching the programme.
PS: Programme is on BBC2 "Operation Stonehenge - What Lies Beneath" - (Thursday at 8.00pm)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 08:50
This goes some way to explain how the hasty and wishful thinking has led to the error .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29126854
“The Cursus is aligned in the East-West direction, and the pits were found one in each end, pointing to Dusk and Dawn .”
If the cursus ran due east to west then the thinking that the pits, if bisected , would provide a north south line makes some sense but the pits ,like the cursus , are not aligned due east to west . They and it are over 5 degrees off due east /west , not much , but over the distance of the 2,000 m between the pits this adds up to an error of 190 m .The error is compounded by the western pit not being on the alignment of the sunset as seen from the heel stone as claimed .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 10:22
tiompan wrote:
The error is compounded by the western pit not being on the alignment of the sunset as seen from the heel stone as claimed .

So the fire beacon thing imagined for the west pit so it could be seen from the heel stone wasn't even on the intended alignment anyway? Classic stuff.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 10, 2014, 11:36
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The error is compounded by the western pit not being on the alignment of the sunset as seen from the heel stone as claimed .

So the fire beacon thing imagined for the west pit so it could be seen from the heel stone wasn't even on the intended alignment anyway? Classic stuff.

They have never released accurate details of the pits .Mike Pitts at one point asked for and got a relatively good pics which helped enormously and confirmed the alignment error but the press office then asked for them to be removed from his blog .
There was a point 6 months after the initial error when they backtracked and seemed to take a more measured approach . In
http://www.prehistoricsociety.org/publications/publication/past_71_july_2012/
They introduced the qualifier appear : “and appear to be positioned on alignments towards midsummer sunrise and sunset when viewed from the Heel Stone,” . But now they are back with the same gung ho comments . What a shame when there is real interesting stuff to be discussed .
From the recent press release we have a least a sensible response from Heather Sebire "This is such an exciting project .The surveys will help us form an understanding of possible new sites which have not been recorded before which will need further inverstigation" When compared to previous hyperbole it speaks volumes .
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index