antiquarianism vs archaeology

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Old Mother Earth
Oct 25, 2002, 11:02
*You today might believe in a mother Goddess, and that is fine, just don't pretend that this links you to our ancestors becuase you worship the same being/entity .... because you don't and you never can.*

how do you know 4Ws? Maybe I've got a psychic link to the old folk and am receiving direct transmissions informing me as to the nature of their goddess...

they've also told me to take up dowsing...
:-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 11:09
:-)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 12:26
They’ve just contacted me again ((wibble wibble))...

Apparently 4Ws is the Anti-Goddess and we must smite him downwards with unusual facial expressions while standing on one leg wearing rubber Homer Simpson masks.
Blaidd
125 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 12:42
I have to agree with Mr Gloves here, Mother nature, Mother earth, however you want to put it, is alive. How else would life continue the usual cycle, especially in the earth. Whether it is called a specific name or just apprecieated as it is, I think everyone acknowledges her.

Personally I do believe in the mother goddess, if ther is such a thing as faith then I am proud to say that is what I have. Unfortunately, not even she is immune to the ravages of man.

Blaidd
Blaidd
125 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 12:44
Dowsing !!!

Just don't get them rods out in a thunder storm. Very Very painfull.
Blaidd
125 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 12:49
But in addition to Sol, there was also a moon goddess !!. I think the ancients when they worshipped saw basically two things, sun & moon and they were revered. That is what I love about the pagan side of things - using the word loosley !!- they seemed to believe in what they saw, what they felt. Earth, wind, water, trees and animals. To give thanks to each individual component which gives us life cannot be bad.

In each of our hearts, we know what we feel to be right. Some put a name to it. Others, like 4winds are content to let it be.

Blaidd
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 13:37
Here's part of my argument ..

The passage and cycle of the sun was clearly known to the ancients. They knew that if the sun did not return, i.e. without the sun,'mother nature' would cease to exist. 'Sol' is the life giver .. always has been ... always will be. Sorry to all the feminists that cling to the Mother Goddess theory, but the Mother is just the bearer of the product of the Sun's seed. I say this not from any woman hating viewpoint that feeds Christianity ans suchlike, but from my interpretation of the evidence as I see it.

Well, that's my oppinion of the evidence. Even Graves' the White Goddess fails to prove anything other than the existance of a female god with a running theme. At no point does his extensive research point to an all powerful, omnipotent goddess.

It is far more likely that the Sun and Earth stood side by side as a male and female god-head-pair than either of them being more powerful than the other.

Having said that, it is The Sun (the big hot thing in the sky and not the rag - although these days I could be wrong) that dictated our lives. For year people have risen with the sun and retired with the sun. Our lives are not only controlled by the sun but are in debt to it too.
Blaidd
125 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 13:47
Ahh but I would question what controlls the tides or the gravitational pull. Besides, the chinese have a lunar calendar and time has been measured by the moon phases for centuries.

It is not that I'm pro-woman thinking or anything, but I tend to find great comfort from the moon.
I do try not to howl anymore, pisses the neighbours off.

B
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 13:55
The moon controls biorhythms and some natural cycles - can't dispute that, but those are a secondary influence.

The main thing that influences our life is light and heat. The discovery of fire did lesson the impact of night time somewhat, but straying out at night with just a flaming torch for company would not have been a Neolithic person's idea of a good time.

The cycles of the moon do have a smaller counting unit - 29 and a bit instead of 365 and a bit, but Egyptians (and many other cultures including the Chinese, Greeks and Romans) had extra days at the end of the year to realign their Lunar calendar with the Solar one.

Use of a Lunar calendar was just for easier counting. Nothing else.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

uummm,no..
Oct 25, 2002, 14:05
im not pissed off,just a bit miffed !
keep it quiet please !
notd8o)
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index