Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Carn Goedog
Nov 21, 2013, 23:49
tjj wrote:
An interesting conversation George - I do drop by for a read from time to time. With regard to Peter Knight, I agree the level of his appeal is very much dependent on your mind set. I used to bump into him from time to time a few years back showing groups around Avebury (on one occasion he was chanting inside WKLB). I also met him in the Henge Shop one winter solstice when he was promoting his book 'The Wessex Astrum' (co-written with Toni Perrott). I bought a copy - am sure you know it is about ley lines connecting ancient and sacred site throughout Wessex. I saw his book on the Cerne Abbas Giant last time I was in Avebury, almost bought it as it did look interesting but resisted as instinctively knew it would be more of the speculative fare. I'm not in the 'prove it or forget it' camp. Some phenomena (if that is what ley lines are) just cannot be proved, perhaps because they don't exist - who knows. Peter Knight strikes me as someone who makes some sort of a living writing books about his theories and there seem to be plenty of takers. Just as Tracey from Margate does with her own brand of art.

No I didn't know about the content of the Wessex Astrum , June .
The problem with a lot of that stuff is that when they do get into stating falisfiable stuff it can be shown to be wrong.
If it's just the tooth fairy visited last night there's nothing we can say , and like Tracey it's just a matter of tatste whether you buy into it or not . But because on those rare occasions when they do venture into the factual territory the fact that they do get it wrong so often is telling .
In the Cerne case he makes a statement that can be shown to be meaningless , as the same phenomena he describes can be seen today .He is attempting to make it appear that as it was seen in the IA there may well be a connection with the time of build which is daft as nobody would suggest it was built yesterday .Further there is no reason to accept the viewing point, either in the IA or today as salient .The obvious suggestion would be to look along the length of the club or from the scrotum along the direction of the erection not some amorphous " viewed from the hills opposite or the valley below. " .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2013, 05:42
Nov 22, 2013, 03:43
tjj wrote:
Some phenomena (if that is what ley lines are)

I'd say they aren't phenomena as a phenomenon is something that is manifest, not just claimed.

Looked at like that - that dowsing is only a phenomenon in waiting - complaints that people are wrong to want proof look silly. If dowsers want people to think dowsing is a real phenomenon it's up to them to come up with proof not shy away from it while still expecting to be taken seriously.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2013, 09:13
Nov 22, 2013, 08:44
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:

I'd say they aren't phenomena as a phenomenon is something that is manifest, not just claimed.

Looked at like that - that dowsing is only a phenomenon in waiting - complaints that people are wrong to want proof look silly. If dowsers want people to think dowsing is a real phenomenon it's up to them to come up with proof not shy away from it while still expecting to be taken seriously.

Another connection between the ley line and dowsing phenomenona is that both underwent a change in the late 60's .
Ley lines as originally described by Watkins were routes between A and B when A and B were almost anything old ,from, Neolithic monuments to Iron Age monuments to medieval moats , churches of any period ,wells and even natural features . Incredibly contentious but nevertheless related to actual sites on the ground .
After the statistical likelihood , accuracy and obvious question of why choose straight lines for routes when the easiest way from A-B was a geometrical truth rarely found in the real world , Michell and others changed the leys to "lines of force " not tracks , but unrecordable entirely subjective straight lines of energy .
Dowsers took to this like ducks to water .If you have a problem proving you can find real stuff , then why not find stuff that is invisible and unrecordable .Thus they arrived at an excellent circular symbiotic relationship ,"we'll find your lines of force for you " , the landscape mystics wrote about them thus encouraging other dowsers to "find " the original and other lines .Who is to say that because your rods move , as they usually do in 90% of cases , that you haven't found a "ley" ?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2013, 10:53
Nov 22, 2013, 09:05
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:

Another connection between the ley line and dowsing phenomenona is that both underwent a change in the late 60's .
Ley lines as originally described by Watkins were routes between A and B when A and B were almost anything old ,from, Neolithic monuments to Iron Age monuments to mediaval moats , churches of any period ,wells and even natural features . Incredibly contentious but nevertheless related to actual sites on the ground .
After the statistical likelihood , accuracy and obvious question of why choose straight lines for routes when the easiest way from A-B was a geometrical truth rarely found in the real world , Michell and others changed the leys to "lines of force " not tracks , but unrecordable entirely subjective straight lines of energy .
Dowsers took to this like ducks to water .If you have a problem proving finding you can find real stuff , then why not find stuff that is invisible and unrecordable .Thus they arrived at an excellent circular symbiotic relationship ,"we'll find your lines of force for you " , the landscape mystics wrote about them thus encouraging other dowsers to "find " the original and other lines .Who is to say that because your rods move , as they usually do in 90% of cases , that you haven't found a "ley" ?

Yes! I agree George - thank you for your two 'grounded' answers to my late night post yesterday (Nigel also). This is why I bother coming back to read the exchanges here as in between the 'personal stuff' I actually have learnt a lot. Most importantly, I have learnt to Question and not accept anything on face value just because it is written.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 22, 2013, 09:18
Google is a spiffing source of evidence about dowsing. Not the words but the lack of them. For instance, despite Google searching billions of pages it can only find 110 mentions for "blind dowser". ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2013, 09:39
Unenergetic leys
Nov 22, 2013, 09:38
tiompan wrote:
Ley lines as originally described by Watkins were routes between A and B when A and B were almost anything old ,from, Neolithic monuments to Iron Age monuments to medieval moats , churches of any period ,wells and even natural features . Incredibly contentious but nevertheless related to actual sites on the ground .

Inevitably contentious because any real ones are inevitably mixed in with zillions of coincidental ones and can't be teased out of them, but I have a feeling they may sometimes exist as they express such likely human behaviour. I'm thinking of the Black Country (not sure if it happens elsewhere) where if you ask the way they always explain it by reference to a long list of pubs on the way! And it works really well. Left at the Lion, right soon after the Bay Horse etc - the resultant route isn't a straight line but it always tends towards one. (Hereford is near so maybe Watkins was inspired by pub leys... )
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Unenergetic leys
Nov 22, 2013, 09:43
nigelswift wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Inevitably contentious because any real ones are inevitably mixed in with zillions of coincidental ones and can't be teased out of them, but I have a feeling they may sometimes exist as they express such likely human behaviour. I'm thinking of the Black Country (not sure if it happens elsewhere) where if you ask the way they always explain it by reference to a long list of pubs on the way! And it works really well. Left at the Lion, right soon after the Bay Horse etc - the resultant route isn't a straight line but it always tends towards one. (Hereford is near so maybe Watkins was inspired by pub leys... )

The Watkins family business was ale .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Unenergetic leys
Nov 22, 2013, 09:52
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
tiompan wrote:

The Watkins family business was ale .

Another popular theory of the time was the straight lines taken by UFO's , obviously following the ley lines . Orthotonies ? or something similar .
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 22, 2013, 10:36
There is a lot of news on this, but I thought the Culture24 mention of 'druidic plains' hits the right spot....

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/megaliths-and-prehistoric-archaeology/art459092
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 22, 2013, 11:13
tjj wrote:
An interesting conversation George - I do drop by for a read from time to time. With regard to Peter Knight, I agree the level of his appeal is very much dependent on your mind set. I used to bump into him from time to time a few years back showing groups around Avebury (on one occasion he was chanting inside WKLB). I also met him in the Henge Shop one winter solstice when he was promoting his book 'The Wessex Astrum' (co-written with Toni Perrott). I bought a copy - am sure you know it is about ley lines connecting ancient and sacred site throughout Wessex. I saw his book on the Cerne Abbas Giant last time I was in Avebury, almost bought it as it did look interesting but resisted as instinctively knew it would be more of the speculative fare. I'm not in the 'prove it or forget it' camp. Some phenomena (if that is what ley lines are) just cannot be proved, perhaps because they don't exist - who knows. Peter Knight strikes me as someone who makes some sort of a living writing books about his theories and there seem to be plenty of takers. Just as Tracey from Margate does with her own brand of art.

Dowsing, ley chasing and lots of other activities like that give many people great pleasure and i'm genuinely very pleased for them. I'm sure some peoples lives are enhanced by these activities and I have nothing but the greatest respect for that, we all have our own private worlds or 'life illusions' and, like religion for some, they can brighten up our lives or perhaps help us through difficult times.

However, when people who practice these activities post on a board like this stating the 'phenomena' as fact, it moves away from simple belief and becomes something else. It seems to me that a large majority of these individuals do not like being asked for proof once they have made their claims (I don't understand why?) and this becomes a real problem during discussion. Its a shame, because i'd love to see somebody with a genuine talent do their stuff, but they always seem to shy away from it.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index