tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2013, 09:10
Re: Just a word
Mar 06, 2013, 08:59
nigelswift wrote:
Bladup, I thought I'd pop back and say this -

All I've said on this thread is that I suspect there's “a genuine placebo effect at work at many circles whether old or modern" , an idea I've been proposing for ten years and which has generated a number of long, interesting and above all civilised TMA discussions.

In response you have taken it upon yourself to say that it shows, I'm selfish, childish, off my head, have no soul and am “a bitter old man”.

Bad behaviour. People have repeatedly given you a lot of latitude here because, I suspect, they think you genuinely don't know how to behave. You shouldn't mistake that for approval though.

I'm completely baffled by the way some of the discussions become so personal and insulting so quickly. I agree with your comment about 'placebo effect' although perhaps 'placebo' suggests 'not real' ... there is no doubt that the way ancient or modern sites affect us is about our own perception at the time. This can be affected by all sorts of other external conditions such as the weather, who we are with (or not), and not least our expectations. Coming upon an 'unknown' stone circle in the Wiltshire countryside must have caused surprise and delight.

PS: Just to add 'placebo' was a word used by original poster and was only used by yourself in the context of your reply.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index