Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone
Feb 16, 2013, 23:49
Rhiannon wrote:
"if you can get past" - how can you get past it when that's all there is? Even Jesus gets mentioned. I haven't read anything so thoroughly loopy for ages. They don't even know the first thing about the stone "A true granite Sarson stone."
Granite indeed. And bring on the vinegar puns. Btw there's no way I'm going to apologise for the acerbity of my remarks.

Well, I couldn’t agree with you more Rhiannon. Perhaps I wasn’t being very clear. What I meant is that if you can get past all the loopiness what you’re left with is a record of a stone being ‘removed’ from a ‘sensitive’ area and taken elsewhere. That’s the bit which I thought may be of interest.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 09:55
harestonesdown wrote:
tiompan wrote:

and amy have mentioned it on the Avebury forum .

Nothing i can find G. Could be buried in a thread, search facility is pretty crap.

Thanks , not to worry .
It would be good to get the verbatim repsonse . It might be on an old computator in the loft .
you decrypted amy . could have been worse rwsoe .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 11:22
harestonesdown wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

IF the stone was removed from the WHS that is serious stuff IF it has a direct connection with the WKA.

Roy, have read this thread with interest and was going to made the same point as you. If the stone was taken from within the boundaries of the World Heritage Site then surely English Heritage/National Trust are obliged to sue these people for its return. From the description of its original location its sounds as though it may well belong to the WHS.

E-mail the NT/EH a link to the website, maybe grab a few screenshots. ;)

Off the website:
During a question and answer session that she attended weekly Hanne found out that the spot was an interdimensional Gateway of Grail Energy that had been capped. There were beings waiting to communicate from a higher level, to release once again the old esoteric knowledge that had been withheld from man/womankind for thousands of years for fear of misuse by the negative forces.

Yep, that would be right :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 11:38
"There were beings waiting to communicate from a higher level"

EH?

(No, I don't mean eh?)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 12:08
nigelswift wrote:
"There were beings waiting to communicate from a higher level"

EH?

(No, I don't mean eh?)

MENCAP more like it!!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2013, 13:57
Feb 17, 2013, 13:50
Note to self. Never overestimate the tma forum.
I can't tell any more if it's trolling or someone's genuinely crass opinion.

(must stop reading it. must stop reading it.)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 14:24
Rhiannon wrote:

Eh?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 15:01
Sanctuary wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Eh?

You know I'm one of your biggest fans Rhiannon but don't quite get this comment. I thought it was quite a serious thread for once, hadn't descended into bickering or dare I say it, puns. The puns are very clever but they do get in the way sometimes. I think anyone reading the original link posted by LS would agree the people in question are looney tunes ... and we want our stone back :)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2013, 16:00
Feb 17, 2013, 15:05
Sanctuary's remark about Mencap, June. That's what I'm talking about.

(not anything to do with the ascerbic vinegar puns. That was earlier. That wasn't funny either but there you go.)

Anyway, meh. I'm taking my own advice now.
megalith6
46 posts

Feb 17, 2013, 20:10
Hi there,

Thanks to Littlestone for this important thread.

I've just checked with an online pdf and "West Kennet" which is mentioned at the Bosham page is indeed well within the Avebury WHS, thus the removal of this stone - if unauthorised - would surely constitute a violation of the Heritage Site. Secondly, there are other properties at this location but if the removal occurred within the grounds of West Kennet Farm this is a Grade II listed building and the removal of a sarsen stone from it would presumably need to be authorised by English Heritage or at the very least Wiltshire County Council, was this done? Thirdly, West Kennet (Kennett the older spelling, so either is ok) is on a direct line of the presumed course of the megalithic avenue so this would not just be any old piece of sarsen lying so close to a prehistoric feature. Even if it were incidental it ought to remain 'in situ' just in case it represents a missing part of the wrecked avenue jig saw puzzle.

For the WHS plan:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/whs-avebury-whs-leaflet.pdf

With regard to the possible symbolic pairing of the avenue stones - Aubrey Burl, ‘Prehistoric Avebury’ (2002) page 76: Alexander Keiller and Stuart Piggott had noted that “along the rows of the [West Kennet] avenue ... the ... long thin pillar and a broader diamond [shape perhaps] ... denoting male and female symbols ... a fertility cult ... one of the first objective interpretations of what Avebury might have been used for”.

The fact is that now in the light of the alleged Bosham Stone incident I think that no fallen or buried stone at Avebury is safe and all the known buried stones (quite a few) should be carefully and scientifically raised where they can be visually accounted for and remain unmolested and relatively safe.

Bests,

Ric
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index