Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 17, 2012, 20:13
thesweetcheat wrote:
Lots of these patterns (particularly spirals, zig zags and chevrons) appear in the edges of message pads when people doodle while on the phone/in meetings. I'm not sure that most of the people are taking hallucinogens at work (I could be wrong), so isn't an equally plausible explanation that these are the sort of patterns people make when decorating things?

Children do exactly the same thing . If you look at drawings made by people when stoned o nthe non synthetic drugs likely to be found in the period ,if used , there is a huge variety of motifs , unlike what is found in pasage grave and rock art .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:13
thesweetcheat wrote:
Lots of these patterns (particularly spirals, zig zags and chevrons) appear in the edges of message pads when people doodle while on the phone/in meetings. I'm not sure that most of the people are taking hallucinogens at work (I could be wrong), so isn't an equally plausible explanation that these are the sort of patterns people make when decorating things?

Hell of a doodle in stone eh. Can you imagine the phone bill for a three week call :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:16
How does offering an alternative explanation to use of hallucinogens make me "clearly out of my depth"?

Not sure that it's possible to have any kind of discussion unless other explanations are considered as being as equally (or more) plausible as your own theory. Or is your conclusion that every human activity involving applying patterns to a surface can only be a result of use of hallucinogens?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:18
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Hell of a doodle in stone eh. Can you imagine the phone bill for a three week call :-)

Ha, a lot of stone tools could have been sharpened in the process of making the rock art as well, these people did like killing two birds with one stone [3 or 4 if they could], making art and at the same time stone tools sounds good to me.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:19
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

and why do people decorate things?, the images seem deep rooted into the brain itself, people "tranced" out doodling do the same designs, people see the same designs with migraines, from fasting and meditation and when your trippin, which do you think they were doing at the great stone circles and chambered cairns??? do it at the sites and then you'll know yourself...

All the motifs found in passage grves and rock art are the same as found in the doodles of non drugged adults and children ,here is no need to infer meditaion , stress , deprivation ,drugs , any form of extrem asc , these motifs are the common inheritance of all humans . On the other hand look at the motifs drawn by people who are drugged ,regardless whether synthetic or organic , suffering from sleep depriavtion , hunger and they are cover a huge spectrum of motifs and are not limited to the relatively small number of motifs found in rock art .
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?/Cupmarks
Dec 17, 2012, 20:20
tiompan wrote:
Never fair to judge from pics TSC . particularly if negatively . if pushed I would say no . Despite the rock being portable and there being a nearby possible cairn and portables being found in cairns although not in that area afaik phew . It looks a bit big and I wonder why another face wasn't chosen . Single cups are also often the most dificult and they are usually appended "possible " maybe the best bet in the circumstances .

That's fair - you can see from the comments I added to the pics that I thought it could easily be natural. Re the size though, it's much smaller than the cups on the marked stone at Harold's Stones.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?/Cupmarks
Dec 17, 2012, 20:23
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Never fair to judge from pics TSC . particularly if negatively . if pushed I would say no . Despite the rock being portable and there being a nearby possible cairn and portables being found in cairns although not in that area afaik phew . It looks a bit big and I wonder why another face wasn't chosen . Single cups are also often the most dificult and they are usually appended "possible " maybe the best bet in the circumstances .

That's fair - you can see from the comments I added to the pics that I thought it could easily be natural. Re the size though, it's much smaller than the cups on the marked stone at Harold's Stones.

Ahh I know Harolds stones and in that case I misjudged the size in the pic .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:23
If you've tripped your not "out of your depth", if you haven't you couldn't possilbly know what i'm talking about in regards to mushrooms, it's just one of those things -the original initiation, have you?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:24
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Ha, a lot of stone tools could have been sharpened in the process of making the rock art as well, these people did like killing two birds with one stone [3 or 4 if they could], making art and at the same time stone tools sounds good to me.

The creation of rock art tends to result in the dulling of points not sharpening .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 20:27
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

and why do people decorate things?, the images seem deep rooted into the brain itself, people "tranced" out doodling do the same designs, people see the same designs with migraines, from fasting and meditation and when your trippin, which do you think they were doing at the great stone circles and chambered cairns??? do it at the sites and then you'll know yourself...

All the motifs found in passage grves and rock art are the same as found in the doodles of non drugged adults and children ,here is no need to infer meditaion , stress , deprivation ,drugs , any form of extrem asc , these motifs are the common inheritance of all humans . On the other hand look at the motifs drawn by people who are drugged ,regardless whether synthetic or organic , suffering from sleep depriavtion , hunger and they are cover a huge spectrum of motifs and are not limited to the relatively small number of motifs found in rock art .

Trip at the sites and they make a lot more sense, and when you do the gap between you and the ancients is almost non existent, they sometimes even stand with you.
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index