Wind turbines at Rudston

69 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Wind turbines at Rudston
Sep 12, 2012, 16:32
Littlestone wrote:
Both turbines and field walls are, of course, alien in the strictest sense of the word but (to my mind at least) the latter blends more easily, and more harmoniously, with its surroundings; perhaps that has something to do with the latter’s simplicity of construction, the use of local stone, the personal touch in the craft that developed the technique – ditto thatched houses and honey-coloured Cotswold cottages. I don’t get that with a wind turbine I’m afraid, nor with slagheaps (no matter how ‘artistically’ they’re presented :-)

I haven’t visited Grimes Graves I’m afraid so I don’t know how I’d feel about the place. But I do believe that most people (here at least) don't choose things based on selfish interests. The overriding motivation of most of the people I’ve met on TMA is one of protecting our heritage – whether it be megalithic or more spiritually based – and of sharing that motivation with others.

I mean't 'us' as human beings. That includes me, believe it or not.

Yes of course we want to protect our heritage. We also have to look at a wider responsibility and not just the things we are particularly interested in. As I tried to point out, the monuments are part of a much wider world.

I didn't like the tone of Sanctuarys post regarding choosing where to live and liking being around people who are 'slow to change', I will admit.
That seems like veiled language to me, but I won't make accusations.

To me it seems almost ridiculous to insist that the turbine will ruin the ritual landscape at Rudston. And I think its part of a 'any cause will do' on behalf of local residents.

But thats just one opinion. I think i'll shut up about it now.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index