Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Wind turbines at Rudston
Sep 12, 2012, 12:47
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

We have a windfarm a few miles from where we live, one of those that covers a whole area of hill with white whirlybirds. I hate them as it totally spoils the landscape and devalues the price of the nearby properties. Thank goodness we don't see it every time we look out of a window!

Horses for courses I suppose, but I would have no problem at all seeing those beauties on a hill near me.

How does it 'spoil' the landscape exactly? I'm not saying you are doing this Sanctuary, but sometimes I think people react to change without giving themselves time to work out exactly what it is they don't like.

Because when in the countryside, while we still have some left that is, I like to see the countryside, not a load of wind turbines chuntering away and spoiling the natural look. I live in open countryside about 3/4 of a mile away from the nearest property so I still appreciate most of the open views around me. Go ask the people trying to sell their houses next to windfarms what they think. Stick them all out at sea over the horizon if they are going to be anywhere in my book. But that's just me and accept that others see things differently and are quite entitled to.

I would be much more inclined to agree that putting a wind turbine in a genuine wilderness area would be the wrong thing to do, but can't agree they are spoiling the 'natural' look in the vast majority of other cases.

Every single monument you visit is an unnatural construction, and a lot of them are constructed on a very unnatural landscape.

I would imagine what you mean is that you'd like to see fields and hills without evidence of human interference? Its a bit too late for that i'm afraid.

I think that's stretching a point a bit far as man has always interferred or we'd still be living in a forested country and have no landscape such as we have today. We all gauge 'countryside' by what we grew up in as we know no different unless we have seen it on film, photo or drawing/painting. My countryside which I live in now is much like it has been for eons as I am on the edge of Bodmin Moor. I look out over ancient farmland and reside amongst folk who are slow to change. I like it that way as it suits my lifestyle and you equally have the choice to live where you choose unless your circumstances don't allow for it of course which is always a bummer.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index