Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trees and stones with powers to throw?

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw?
May 10, 2012, 18:30
In this game, one good blindfold says more than a million words.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 10, 2012, 19:25
nigelswift wrote:

As do blinkers!
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 10, 2012, 21:26
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

As do blinkers!

Ah well, that fits in with "people who want evidence are closed minded".
'Taint true though. They just want evidence.

A bag of sweets to whoever can guess how many Google hits "blindfold dowsing" gets (to the nearest 1000).
Resonox
604 posts

May 10, 2012, 21:44
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

As do blinkers!

A bag of sweets to whoever can guess how many Google hits "blindfold dowsing" gets (to the nearest 1000).

I still think the power to make a dowser not able to dowse or a psychic unable to perform their brand of magic by simply saying you don't believe him(her) is more effective than Kryptonite on Superman.

Before anyone tells me Superman is a fictional character... I know...thats why I've categorised him alongside claimants of special powers, but I'll believe a man can fly (faster than a speeding bullet etc)...when he proves it .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 10, 2012, 22:19
Resonox wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

As do blinkers!

I still think the power to make a dowser not able to dowse or a psychic unable to perform their brand of magic by simply saying you don't believe him(her) is more effective than Kryptonite on Superman.

Before anyone tells me Superman is a fictional character... I know...thats why I've categorised him alongside claimants of special powers, but I'll believe a man can fly (faster than a speeding bullet etc)...when he proves it .

But I don't think they all claim special powers Nigel, just that they 'feel' things that other people don't seem to now and again and don't even understand it themselves.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

May 10, 2012, 22:55
Just because I have made no comments don't think I am not following this thread. It's all interesting stuff, the most interesting thing being that nobody in the TMA circle has claimed they can feel things or can dowse.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

May 10, 2012, 22:58
There was an interesting book published down this way about 20 years ago written by the son of a man who went around dowsing for water to sink bore holes. It does seem to work...

I don't know why but it does....mind you I knew somebody who reckoned he could find a pub that served Bass ales just by holding a twig over a map...
Resonox
604 posts

May 11, 2012, 06:23
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Just because I have made no comments don't think I am not following this thread. It's all interesting stuff, the most interesting thing being that nobody in the TMA circle has claimed they can feel things or can dowse.

How many have tried...honestly now....even as a youngster, for a bit of fun because they read a book showing how(one of those compendiums of 101 Things For Children To Try type books) or even in all seriousness?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 11, 2012, 07:12
Well, I was desperate to find an earring once, and I gave dowsing it a go, and I did actually find it! But that was in a very small area and could have been coincidence. Whereas my mother and I searched the usual way for a bit of jewellery on Therfield Heath once and that's massive, and we found that too retracing our steps. So I reckon those two anecdotes rather cancel each other out.

Besides, if dowsing for water really works (and I don't know how it can, but it's said my grandad used to do it, so I'm biased because I want to believe he was a rational creature) it might rely on detection of something ...er actually detectable. Because the water is a thing actually there to be detected.

Whereas, saying certain standing stones have emanations, that is an entirely different thing, that is surely entirely mystical? as what do these vibes indicate - are they something imposed on the stone or are they natural stones selected for this quality? But this quality of what exactly? I mean you can say 'some stones are naturally radioactive and some aren't' and that's something you can't detect without a geiger counter. So sensitive person X is acting like a geiger counter, detecting something real. But what's the use of sticking those in a stone circle if only 1 person in a thousand (or a thousand thousand) can detect that. I'm not convinced it's the same thing you're dealing with, water dowsing and stones.

(And, tsc, water dowsing has long been documented, for centuries (possibly even millennia?) not that that means anything necessarily of course)
Resonox
604 posts

May 11, 2012, 07:48
I tried dowsing as a youngster on the recommendation of the type of book as I mentioned earlier...but then I also tried ventriloquism and magic tricks.
I have a fair record of success just finding lost items (keys, rings etc) through logic, quite often retracing steps as you say. eg keys lost on a large playing field...I sat on a park bench and imagined what the key owner would have done.....hot day coat taken off...not put on the ground..so the only logical place was the horse trough(now used as a decorative planter)...there were the keys down the gap between the soil and the trough sides....guy was well impressed...and I could've quite easily pretended possessing abilities...but I didn't, I'm more the Conan-Doyle approach rather than the Von Daniken
If some stones ripped from the earth and shaped to man's designs and set in the ground can throw people about....why don't some natural paving flags do this too.."sensitive special power people" wouldn't be able to walk down streets..nor would they be able to lean on walls of old buildings etc...without being slung about like rag-dolls.There is a stock answer...but it is as convincing as the "3%" argument. I remain a doubter because of the selectiveness of the "phenomenom".
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index