Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trees and stones with powers to throw?

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw?
May 08, 2012, 22:33
I know many of you do believe in the powers stones can have and that is fine by me, but scientifically can this ever be proved?

Was only thinking about this the other day Mr H. It probably has been done by someone somewhere but I was wondering if the Bluestones had ever been analysed for medicinal properties – given that birds and animals travel fair old distances to get the ‘medicinal’ minerals they need – not to mention the early 13th century and oft quoted poem by Laymond -

The stones are great
And magic power they have
Men that are sick
Fare to that stone
And they wash that stone
And with that water bathe away their sickness
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited May 09, 2012, 07:26
May 09, 2012, 07:12
can't think of a single one, personally.

No I really can't. I even rather wonder if the concept coincides with the general availability of electricity in people's houses (so new age ideas of Energy had something to be pinned on). I'm sure it relates to all the 60sish awareness of eastern spiritual ideas though, I'm sure I've seen stuff about 'bands of energy' around stones (in needles of stone revisited, tom graves
http://www.tomgraves.org/needles ) and that sounds rather like the idea of chakras on the body?? And also drawing on chinese / japanese ideas of feng shui. When you can pick and choose it all gets a bit mixed up I fear.

Otherwise, considering the outrageous cumulative number of visits made to stones by people on this website, you'd think at least one of them would have a spontaneous story to offer on the matter. ie not one that happened when they were with a group of dowsers looking for a positive result.
tomwatts
376 posts

May 09, 2012, 15:02
....I think that Kevin (Cropredy) put his enlightenment about the true meaning of stone circles, down to being thrown through the air by a power at a stone somewhere....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 09, 2012, 22:30
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Now turns out the stone in question is not on Bodmin Moor but on Dartmoor..it is the end stone at Merrivale.
The gentleman who contacted me is out to prove that stones do not have these powers (nor do trees in Essex). He feels people should not be allowed to make statements like this without scientific proof.

As someone who does not believe in ley lines and never gets any 'feeling' when near stones I would be interested in what others think about his thoughts. I know many of you do believe in the powers stones can have and that is fine by me, but scientifically can this ever be proved?

Discuss......

I find this a difficult one to answer because yes, I do get 'feelings' over some stones but normally they are collective stones as in a long barrow or tomb or a circle and I feel the ancestors. The setting they are in plays a huge part I'm sure but I have a friend who wont go near a certain stone for instance in a circle but has no problem with the others. I find that really odd but she is a dowser who seems to be very tuned in to things many of us just take for granted. She won't enter Duloe circle for love nor money and told me why. It was only when she explained that I began to 'see' what she was seeing, but it never bothered me and still doesn't. I think you either do or don't but it doesn't make you any more unusual than the next person.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 10, 2012, 07:25
If you're interested in getting some evidence for her skill it would be so so easy, you could blindfold her before you get there and then lead her randomly round the stones (or much better still, get someone else to, who doesn't know which is the particular stone). You'd not think a blindfold would prevent detection of whatever emanations they're supposed to be?

Would that not be brilliant? (and I'm not denying I'm sceptical about these sorts of things. But what's wrong with a bit of evidence? I would really like fairies and thylacines to exist. But a worldful of hoping doesn't make them real unfortunately. It's easy to convince yourself about things, the mind's a powerful thing. But surely there's nothing wrong with a bit of hard evidence to convince other people?)
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 10, 2012, 08:04
Tut tut, don't you realise that there's a universal pseudo-scientific principle that tests, repetition, laboratory conditions or the presence of a skeptic buggers the atmos so that the energies won't flow?

On the other hand, my car gives me an electric shock every time I get out of it and independent tests have tended to confirm my findings.

;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 10, 2012, 08:21
Rhiannon wrote:
If you're interested in getting some evidence for her skill it would be so so easy, you could blindfold her before you get there and then lead her randomly round the stones (or much better still, get someone else to, who doesn't know which is the particular stone). You'd not think a blindfold would prevent detection of whatever emanations they're supposed to be?

Would that not be brilliant? (and I'm not denying I'm sceptical about these sorts of things. But what's wrong with a bit of evidence? I would really like fairies and thylacines to exist. But a worldful of hoping doesn't make them real unfortunately. It's easy to convince yourself about things, the mind's a powerful thing. But surely there's nothing wrong with a bit of hard evidence to convince other people?)

I'm as sceptical as you are Rhiannon about most of these things but you can't experience what another person feels within them. They don't have to prove anything as they are already experiencing it but it doesn't mean you are going to. We all seem to be tuned in on different wavelengths with the exception of a 'chosen' few who see or detect something nobody else does. I can't explain it in any other way, maybe there is someone else here that can.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Quarks and gluons fizzing away
May 10, 2012, 09:39
We all seem to be tuned in on different wavelengths with the exception of a 'chosen' few who see or detect something nobody else does.

“...Dürr's calculation shows that QCD describes quark-based particles accurately, and tells us that most of our mass comes from virtual quarks and gluons fizzing away in the quantum vacuum. The Higgs field is also thought to make a small contribution, giving mass to individual quarks as well as to electrons and some other particles. The Higgs field creates mass out of the quantum vacuum too, in the form of virtual Higgs bosons. So if the LHC confirms that the Higgs exists, it will mean all reality is virtual.” (New Scientist).

All reality is virtual - I like it ;-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 10, 2012, 09:40
Mr Hamhead wrote:
I know many of you do believe in the powers stones can have and that is fine by me, but scientifically can this ever be proved?

Discuss......

No it can't. It's cobblers. All in the head of the person that "experiences" it. Sorry and all that, but it's true. :) It's nice that some people think they experience things - christ (lol) knows I've imagined such things myself! - but I'm sensible enough to know it's whimsy and wishful thinking. Electric shock from stones? Get outta here! :D

G x
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Quarks and gluons fizzing away
May 10, 2012, 11:11
Littlestone wrote:
We all seem to be tuned in on different wavelengths with the exception of a 'chosen' few who see or detect something nobody else does.

“...Dürr's calculation shows that QCD describes quark-based particles accurately, and tells us that most of our mass comes from virtual quarks and gluons fizzing away in the quantum vacuum. The Higgs field is also thought to make a small contribution, giving mass to individual quarks as well as to electrons and some other particles. The Higgs field creates mass out of the quantum vacuum too, in the form of virtual Higgs bosons. So if the LHC confirms that the Higgs exists, it will mean all reality is virtual.” (New Scientist).

All reality is virtual - I like it ;-)

Errrr...any chance you could explain that again in English LS? :-)
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index