Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Too good to miss?
Feb 22, 2012, 20:46
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Does it matter if you can get your hands on all of them for the price of a pint? Those I've looked through so far which interest me have been 1990's throught to mid 2000 ....

That rather depends on your point of view perhaps. Surely these must be copyrighted? I'd be absolutely pissed off if I'd written a book and found it was on something like this without either my or my publisher's knowledge.

Sounds very dubious to me Roy, sorry to be grumpy about it.

Well this is what he says so he's putting his head on the line if he's being less than truthful. Maybe things change when your printed book goes to ebook status

'Disclaimer to Ebay and to any other interested parties! This item is being sold in line with all Ebay rules and all legal regulations regarding the sale of DVDr. I can confirm that I am legally permitted to sell this item on Ebay as I hold the Copyright'

Yes of course it matters if you're being ripped off and I've written enough of them to know how books are passed around, but if the claim is correct then fair enough.

Anyway the link is there in my first post to question this bloke directly if that is what stopping some from buying. If he is telling the truth then you are missing out on a great deal so check him out.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 22, 2012, 21:10
Rhiannon wrote:
A cynic enquires - just wondering, the seller claims s/he holds the copyright to all of them... hmm. Or are they all like 100 years old and out of copyright? Or, if they do hold the copyright, why are they selling them off so cheap.

This looks like an interesting one published in 2005. 'Forensic Archaeology - Advances in Theory and Practice' John Hunter and Mary Cox
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 22, 2012, 21:20
juamei wrote:

Thanks Juamei.

A link from that page goes to this:
http://ca.isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148705

Which is a discussion advocating the fight against copyright.

"Join the copyfight!" is the tagline. To be fair, the author of that post is clearly trying to create a reasoned and balanced argument, in the interests of which a link has been posted to this, whichgets to the crux of the copyright issue very nicely, from a (beautifully expressed) author's perspective:

http://rachelcaine.livejournal.com/124581.html

On the basis of all of which, anyone considering buying "copied" e-books can consider the pros and cons and act accordingly!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 22, 2012, 21:36
juamei wrote:

Certainly similar :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 22, 2012, 23:13
Sanctuary wrote:
Anyway the link is there in my first post to question this bloke directly if that is what stopping some from buying. If he is telling the truth then you are missing out on a great deal so check him out.

Hi Roy, question asked. I'll let you know what answer I get.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 22, 2012, 23:15
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

This is useful too:

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 23, 2012, 00:00
thesweetcheat wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

This is useful too:

He's just emailed me to say he is stopping the listing and would I remove the link :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 23, 2012, 00:00
thesweetcheat wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

This is useful too:

He's just emailed me to say he is stopping the listing and would I remove the link :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 23, 2012, 11:31
Yeah I bet he is.

This is causing me much pause for thought this morning. It's a bit complicated isn't it. Though I suppose one way it's pretty straightforward, that if you take something that's not yours without the permission of the person that produced it (or owns it) then that's stealing isn't it. Stealing being generally considered Bad behaviour. I think your ebay person is particularly galling because they're making money out of the authors' sweat. It seems worse than uploading those books illegally in the first place. Though that's not exactly honest in itself. But he's even parasitising those people, he hasn't even done all the hard (though illegal) work of scanning those books in. (I wonder what the quality of the scans is, I mean turning a book into an ebook is a massive job surely)

And I was thinking, are books a slightly different case from music. Downloading music for free off the internet, that's dishonest obviously because the musicians who created it are getting nothing and you're getting the benefit. But you get the benefit so easily, you jsut have to listen. With textbooks, you can't get the knowledge out of them so easily, you'd actually have to concentrate properly. So there's hundreds of books on that torrent, is anyone actually ever going to read them all, it's doubtful. Knowledge, that's something that shouldn't be squirrelled away and deliberately hidden from people. But if people want to really properly read a book, that's a big investment of their time and energy. So unless it's unobtainable any other way (possible I admit) then is it so much trouble to head to the library / order it from a bookshop and do it properly, if you really want to read it. (this is all a bit vague I realise). Er so maybe not much damage will be done to 690 of those 700 authors because you'll not read those books and you'd never have bought them anyway. But I suppose the trouble comes that for every person downloading them, they'll want a different 10 of those 700. So all the authors lose out in the grand scheme.

no this is getting too tangled isn't it.

This isn't supposed to be a personal stab honestly, it's just musing on the topic in general. Just because something's easy to do and nobody sees you doing it doesn't make it right. Suppose it's just down to personal choice in the end, like any cultural rules, and you have to risk any comeback from the law / unscrupulous people nicking your credit card details etc.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 23, 2012, 11:44
Haha bet he did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/atgdigitalpublishing/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

He's left quite a lot of other collections up, presumably all downloaded and then burnt to dvd! Easy illegal money and so flagrant as well...
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index