Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Too good to miss?
Feb 26, 2012, 20:43
Howburn Digger wrote:
The same bunch of music enthusiasts to whom you refer are currently about halfway through a charming recycling of the singles output of another band from the same city. Aside from the wondrous approach to the process of re-mastering the music, I love the chronological detail and the sublime attention to packaging... it's a fan thing.

Let us rip...

Oh yes, I'm following that one avidly too. :-D

The first Recycled project was exemplary. That's the one band whose multiple sleeve variants I will buy. Including 9 copies of one particular 7" (10 if you include the black and white Italian sleeve). Mr Saville, so much to answer for...
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 11:17
It's probably been said, but I think that downloading the odd thing illegally is a whole different ballgame to selling it on for personal gain. I didn't think it'd annoy me so much but this bloke's being so blatant! Can't believe eBay make it so difficult to do anything about it.

G x
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 11:42
Whereas if you scan a picture from an out of copyright book, you then own the copyright on your scan.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 12:05
juamei wrote:
Whereas if you scan a picture from an out of copyright book, you then own the copyright on your scan.

Yes, I think that would be true with the "sample" as well, if the piece you are sampling is out of copyright itself. So you're okay with that Fats Waller sample kids.
nix
nix
201 posts

Re: Too good to miss? ABSOLUTELY
Feb 27, 2012, 12:14
It's still stealing whichever way you cut it. You would probably be able to get to from a library with some effort or save up if you really want it for yourself. Ain't that what people used to do? And then you have the pleasures of delayed gratification and anticipation - subtle experiences now virtually lost.

Not being able to afford something doesn't entitle you to take it for free.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 23:48
thesweetcheat wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
The same bunch of music enthusiasts to whom you refer are currently about halfway through a charming recycling of the singles output of another band from the same city. Aside from the wondrous approach to the process of re-mastering the music, I love the chronological detail and the sublime attention to packaging... it's a fan thing.

Let us rip...

Oh yes, I'm following that one avidly too. :-D

The first Recycled project was exemplary. That's the one band whose multiple sleeve variants I will buy. Including 9 copies of one particular 7" (10 if you include the black and white Italian sleeve). Mr Saville, so much to answer for...

Acht it was always with the alluring textured sleeves where I got enthusiastic for them joyboys. I would love Mr Saville to have ventured into the realms of woodchip or superfresco for them late 70's masterpieces of design. Though without banging a drum (ahemm)... I bought their very first record (the 7") on the recommendation of Pete Shelley's review in the Record Mirror (July 1978?) (the Buzzcocks were doing the singles that week and that issue had Ronnie Biggs with a knuckle duster on the front cover). Ideally... I wish I'd bought two copies rather than the other record I bought that week (that was the first 7" release of Sultans of Swing... eek!). I've still got both 7"... and the copy of Record Mirror with the review lies in a box somewhere...
The joyboys were particularly grim when I saw them supporting Shelley's lads at the Glasgow Apollo the following year (Nov 79?). Now ye've gotten me all nostalgic... memories... like the corners of my mind..
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 23:57
Howburn Digger wrote:
I bought their very first record (the 7") on the recommendation of Pete Shelley's review in the Record Mirror (July 1978?) (the Buzzcocks were doing the singles that week and that issue had Ronnie Biggs with a knuckle duster on the front cover).... I've still got both 7"... and the copy of Record Mirror with the review lies in a box somewhere...

The joyboys were particularly grim when I saw them supporting Shelley's lads at the Glasgow Apollo the following year (Nov 79?). Now ye've gotten me all nostalgic... memories... like the corners of my mind..

"And I'm surfing on a wave of nostalgia for an age yet to come"

The first JD 7" went for £1,000+ on ebay a fortnight ago.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Feb 29, 2012, 22:56
thesweetcheat wrote:

"And I'm surfing on a wave of nostalgia for an age yet to come"

The first JD 7" went for £1,000+ on ebay a fortnight ago.

By gosh by golly and jings, crivvens and help ma Boab!

I'd reckoned mine would be worth mibbe a couple of hundred (only been played half a dozen times and kept boxed - it's mint). I'd mibbe better punt mine onto this buoyant market... and soon too!

That'll be this summer's Arran trip covered then! And the Autumn Galloway jaunt too...

Value... its not a concept... its an enigma... I've checked!

Cheers!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 29, 2012, 23:00
I'd love to buy it off you, but that's waaay out of my price range. The people are out there though, so good luck with that if you do.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index