Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Eire »
UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
Feb 11, 2012, 20:03
How can a collection of different pics from those mentioned answer the last post ? You have merely avoided it .
I doubt anyone would see any similarities with the Welsh examples and Comeragh . As for the new pics , . Cwm Ian , Yellowmead ,Tregiffian Vean ,Down Tor cairn and enclosure are all clearly monuments that stand out from the surrounding landscape . Drizzlecombe is an obvious stone row it also has a very big terminal monolith , Chun Castle is a settlement and Kendijack an iron Age fort , and none have any claims for excarnation
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 11, 2012, 20:25
I was replying to Moss's sites and the pictures therein. At no point did I mention the video clip.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 10:55
rockhopper wrote:
I was replying to Moss's sites and the pictures therein. At no point did I mention the video clip.

All we have had to judge is based on the video and CD for me . When do we get to see the pics of the "identical " monuments to Coetan Arthur , Morfa Bycharn and the Carn Llidi ?
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 11:27
When I possess the technical knowhow to do so, or when someone has the time to do it for me. In the meantime, if you want to put up what was on the C.D that's fine by me.
Incidentally, on what did you base the statement "I doubt if anyone would see any similarities with the Welsh examples and Comeragh." Are you familiar with the Comeragh mountains?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 11:38
I've looked but can't find the CD ,I don't remember anything on it that might be considered "identical " to the Welsh examples .
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 12:30
If you give me a little time to sort it, then I will show you, and anyone else who may have doubts. I'm not an IT expert, and am reliant on the kindness of others to do stuff for me. In the meantime have a look at the sweetcheats excellent photographs which I listed, in order to make an informed judgement.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 15:03
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:

.. just been reading up on Ballybrittas, although the one photograph here does not look promising.

Scroll down .

http://oconnortom.com/megalithic-ireland/co-wexford/

Many thanks for this link Tiompan, very striking photos. Hopefully I will bring back a photo and some notes to post here.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IREL
Feb 12, 2012, 15:06
rockhopper wrote:
No evidence has ever been produced to support the mound theory, and in my opinion, limited though it may be, they never existed. The dolmens are a striking feature in the landscape, and were meant to be seen. To go to the considerable effort to build them in the first place (and if you ever get to see the example at Kilmogue in Co. Kilkenny, one of the most remarkable pieces of balancing in western Europe, and one that would defy the most modern structural engineer) and then to cover them with earth, seems ridiculous.

This might change your opinion:
http://megalithomania.com/show/site/378/burren_sw_portal_tomb.htm
Initially classified as a wedge (as it is classified on TMA), FW re-appraised it (see his notes for Saturday, 17th March 2007) and reckons it's a portal. I think he may be right.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Feb 12, 2012, 15:09
tjj, some of the best examples of portal tombs are in Dublin if you happen to be passing through.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2012, 15:21
Feb 12, 2012, 15:18
ryaner wrote:
tjj, some of the best examples of portal tombs are in Dublin if you happen to be passing through.

Thanks, that may have be another trip. This time will be travelling from Rosslare (staying overnight in Wexford) then on to west Cork via Wexford and Waterford. I'm not doing the driving but can probably negotiate a few small detours on route.

Will definitely be coming back to the Dublin area though.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index