Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Eire »
UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
Feb 08, 2012, 22:08
rockhopper wrote:
After the passage of two thousand years? I think not. I stated pre Christian. We did an experiment using sheep bones 4 years ago, replicating one of the stone bowls. Theres nothing left. Just burnt stones.

Cremated bone from much earlier than 2000 years is found all the time ,as is the effects of burning from much less than would be necessary for a cremation pyre .
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 08, 2012, 22:13
O)ur contention is that the cremated remains were subsequently interred in the rockfields. Leaving nothing behind but burnt stone. But I would welcome excavation, and am quite willing to be proved wrong.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 08, 2012, 22:20
rockhopper wrote:
O)ur contention is that the cremated remains were subsequently interred in the rockfields. Leaving nothing behind but burnt stone. But I would welcome excavation, and am quite willing to be proved wrong.

The problem for the excarnation then subsequent internment idea is that there is no evidence for either .
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 01:02
I am willing to assist in any way, for anyone, to examine the evidence.
I am reminded of the problem Gallileo encountered when he invented the telescope.
One of the cardinals of Rome decided that it could not be done. And when Gallileo invited him to look into that telescope, to prove him wrong, the cardinal refused to do so.
Therefore, it was not so.
I do not in any way wish to be derogatory, but I have over the past 10 years, walked, examined, and documented most of the upland areas of south east Ireland. If others have not done likewise, then I suggest they address more pressing matters, such as who presents a television programme of debateable value.
Resonox
604 posts

Not academic nor having put in the man hours...bye
Feb 09, 2012, 07:38
rockhopper wrote:
I am reminded of the problem Gallileo encountered when he invented the telescope.
One of the cardinals of Rome decided that it could not be done. And when Gallileo invited him to look into that telescope, to prove him wrong, the cardinal refused to do so.
I do not in any way wish to be derogatory, but I have over the past 10 years, walked, examined, and documented most of the upland areas of south east Ireland. If others have not done likewise, then I suggest they address more pressing matters, such as who presents a television programme of debateable value.

I feel I have been supportive of your views but I'm afraid I will have to bow out of this debate...comparing yourself to Galileo and slating people because they will not accept your finds without pointing out various pitfalls in the ideas feels distinctly uncomfortable...I have not spent 2000 hours over the past 10 years doing as you have so I am evidently not qualified enough to comment further.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 08:29
rockhopper wrote:

If that is your opinion, why did you come on here and ask us our opinions as we've clearly not your experience in SE Ireland?

FWIW I can see why you have formed the theories you have, but you must be willing to stand them up against scrutiny. You seems to be complaining of lack of interest and then complaining of the wrong sort of interest...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 10:22
rockhopper wrote:

You have marked the above as a reply to " The problem for the excarnation then subsequent internment idea is that there is no evidence for either . "
When it has clearly avoided the the point .
The Galileo comparison is ludicrous and telling .
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 11:05
No. What is ludicrous is people dissing ideas just for the sake of it. The Gallileo thing adequately illustrates the refusal of others to open their eyes. There are 3 mountain ranges full of evidence. When you, or anyone else wants to examine that evidence, then we will all be in a better position to comment.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 11:11
rockhopper wrote:
No. What is ludicrous is people dissing ideas just for the sake of it. The Gallileo thing adequately illustrates the refusal of others to open their eyes. There are 3 mountain ranges full of evidence. When you, or anyone else wants to examine that evidence, then we will all be in a better position to comment.

This wasn't "dissing " and has not been addressed . "The problem for the excarnation then subsequent internment idea is that there is no evidence for either ." As I mentioned in my first post here about this "
You did send me a CD of pics a few years ago , fwiw I thought some of the images looked like genuine man made constructions , others less so , dating seemed a problem ." Nothing has changed .
rockhopper
275 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 12:00
I'd love to do a bit of digging and search for evidence, but that as we know is illegal. The search for evidence is the sole preserve of the "professionals" and as they refuse to engage nothing can change. Catch 22! Its an idea, thats all, and seems to tie in with whats out there.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index