Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 11, 2011, 17:11
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:

PS: If anyone wants to start a topic about toxic places I would suggest they are all relatively modern - nuclear power stations, motorways etc, etc.

Last year at the Loch leven nature reserve despite numerous nest boxes being provided (by humans ) and plenty more natural , one pair of blue tits chose instead to build their nest in one of the metallic cigarette butt holders . Kestrels love motorways and there are probaly more kestrel nests adjoining motorways than rivers . Then again birds don't have concepts like genius loci.

The point I was making (sorry, not very articulate in the morning) is that in a couple of thousand years into the the future there may well be places with negative 'bad' energy that perhaps had in the past been something like a nuclear power station. I can promise you motorways are toxic even if we are not aware of it as we hurtle along in our cars (only I don't own one) - I live quite close to the M4 and sometimes use a footbridge to get across the motorway to the peaceful downland the other side. The last time I did this I ended up choking and was unable to speak for a few minutes.

Going back to the question of whether spirits inhabit stones; as you said in earlier post, 'define spirit'. For example, no one seriously believes that the head-stones in cemeteries hold the souls of the people buried under them. If on the other hand the word spirit is used to describe an unseen energy field which may seem dense and heavy (or the reverse) then yes, I'm open to the possiblity that stones positioned in certain places can act as a conduit for certain energies (feel-good/feel-bad).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 11, 2011, 17:56
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:

PS: If anyone wants to start a topic about toxic places I would suggest they are all relatively modern - nuclear power stations, motorways etc, etc.

Last year at the Loch leven nature reserve despite numerous nest boxes being provided (by humans ) and plenty more natural , one pair of blue tits chose instead to build their nest in one of the metallic cigarette butt holders . Kestrels love motorways and there are probaly more kestrel nests adjoining motorways than rivers . Then again birds don't have concepts like genius loci.

The point I was making (sorry, not very articulate in the morning) is that in a couple of thousand years into the the future there may well be places with negative 'bad' energy that perhaps had in the past been something like a nuclear power station. I can promise you motorways are toxic even if we are not aware of it as we hurtle along in our cars (only I don't own one) - I live quite close to the M4 and sometimes use a footbridge to get across the motorway to the peaceful downland the other side. The last time I did this I ended up choking and was unable to speak for a few minutes.

Going back to the question of whether spirits inhabit stones; as you said in earlier post, 'define spirit'. For example, no one seriously believes that the head-stones in cemeteries hold the souls of the people buried under them. If on the other hand the word spirit is used to describe an unseen energy field which may seem dense and heavy (or the reverse) then yes, I'm open to the possiblity that stones positioned in certain places can act as a conduit for certain energies (feel-good/feel-bad).

My point , poorly articulated was that animals , often seen as arbiters of what might be considered natural good taste , along with the odd noble savage , don't necessarily agree on what we consider areas that might give off bad "vibes " .
I'm sure in the future there will be plenty of spots judged both good and bad to humans "sensitive " to such things but am also sure that animals will continue to disagree .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 13:59
Now theyr'e doing it at Loch Garten
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14123827
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 16:11
tiompan wrote:

You're getting an obsession with tits George!! :D
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 18:20
Plenty of them play in blue :-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 18:53
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

You're getting an obsession with tits George!! :D

mmm ok , there were some storks .....
taryn torhill
8 posts

Jul 13, 2011, 10:38
On the other hand, when I visited Warren Wood hillfort near Luxulyan I had the most sublime happy contented feeling, just me and the dog, though I have no way of knowing what the dog felt........

And once, a whole bunch of us inside a hut circle on Carn Brea dissolved into uncontrollable laughter which became so painful we had to step out again......
sleeptowin
sleeptowin
114 posts

Jul 21, 2011, 15:08
visiting Bryn Celli Ddu for the second time in October last year i had a strange feeling. all was fine al lthe way up to the Mound, went inside, walked all around it, took photos then set off back. my girlfreind had carried on walking as i was taking some walking away photos when all of a sudden i felt like i had to go. i started walking quickly but not to quicly away and then the path seemed to just be going on for ages, then half way down when i was 3/4s of the way down the path before the turn all the animals in the field bolted away from the path. i heard some kind of swoosh noise and i ran as fast as i could away. catching my girlfreind up saying i need to go, she just burst out laughing.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 21, 2011, 16:48
sleeptowin wrote:
visiting Bryn Celli Ddu for the second time in October last year i had a strange feeling. all was fine al lthe way up to the Mound, went inside, walked all around it, took photos then set off back. my girlfreind had carried on walking as i was taking some walking away photos when all of a sudden i felt like i had to go. i started walking quickly but not to quicly away and then the path seemed to just be going on for ages, then half way down when i was 3/4s of the way down the path before the turn all the animals in the field bolted away from the path. i heard some kind of swoosh noise and i ran as fast as i could away. catching my girlfreind up saying i need to go, she just burst out laughing.

That's an interesting one STW and something that to me sounds quite 'common' amongst other stonies that I've spoken to. If you've had an experience like that it sorts of raises the hair on the back of your neck hearing about it from someone else doesn't it!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 16, 2012, 13:25
Dunnydeer, Nov 2008.

The first site of a days RSC spotting in Aberdeenshire. I'd driven down in the morning from where I was staying on the Black Isle, very excited at the prospect of seeing sites like Cothiemuir and Sunhoney which I'd read so much about and gazed longingly at pictures of for years.
I can't remember why I chose Dunnydeer as the first site to see, but it was with excited anticipation that I parked the car up in the layby and set off up the hill toward the stone circle.

I stayed close to the field boundary when walking up, got to the top of the field and then continued to follow the fence around, so actually ended up approaching the circle from 'the back' (but which is actually the 'front', if that makes any sense at all).
I saw one of the flankers peeping over the long grass and made my way toward the circle.

I got to about 10 feet from the circle, which was now in full view, when I suddenly experienced a bolt of fear go through me. It was completely unexpected and as I stood there I began to feel a rising panic.
I felt, and it sounds daft now of course, that if I were to go near the circle that something would 'happen'. I don't know what exactly(!), but the feeling was telling me it was not a good idea to go any nearer.

I didn't know what to do. I'd planned and organized this holiday, made loads of effort to get here, couldn't wait to see these sites and now I stood 10 feet from the first one, paralyzed with fear to go anywhere near it!
Again, sounds daft, but I felt as though something or someone was aware of my presence there and was looking upon me as an intruder.

So strong was this feeling that I did something I had never done before (and done only once since) and assured this supposed 'entity' (or whatever it could possibly be) of my absolute best intentions and total respect.
"I come in peace" for want of a better expression!

After about a minute I plucked up enough courage to move slowly toward the circle, very careful with every step, trying to sense the atmosphere.
I got there, reached out a hand and, still pretty fearful, very gently touched the recumbent. After another minute or so i started to feel calmer, the fear went and the rest of my time spent there was fine.

My own subconscious fears coming to the surface or something else entirely?
Who knows.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index