Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Aug 17, 2012, 07:42
rockhopper wrote:
Sorry folks. Just seemed a logical question to ask. Happy hunting, and make sure to forward reports!
Never had a 'weird out' meself at any of the places I was at, although some feel more comfortable than others. Perhaps that's more to do with the state of mind at the time rather than any extraneous influence.

No need to apologise as it was the logical thing to ask. Although I've never experienced anything like that again myself I was with a friend the other month at Duloe stone circle who wouldn't walk inside of it for love or money. She saw the large 'entrance' stone as a female 'guardian' and very threatening where I find the circle charming. No accounting for these things sometimes is there.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 17, 2012, 09:53
Sanctuary wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
Sorry folks. Just seemed a logical question to ask. Happy hunting, and make sure to forward reports!
Never had a 'weird out' meself at any of the places I was at, although some feel more comfortable than others. Perhaps that's more to do with the state of mind at the time rather than any extraneous influence.

No need to apologise as it was the logical thing to ask. Although I've never experienced anything like that again myself I was with a friend the other month at Duloe stone circle who wouldn't walk inside of it for love or money. She saw the large 'entrance' stone as a female 'guardian' and very threatening where I find the circle charming. No accounting for these things sometimes is there.

This is the stone at Duloe that my friend is 'wary' of yet I see it as a wonderful lump of quartz! It just goes to show how different we all are.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/DuloeStoneCircle2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMSlkMjPxuqMDg#5777560756380241330
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 17, 2012, 10:56
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
CARL wrote:
A couple of years ago my 'better half' had a similar experience at West Kennet Long Barrow. While myself and Dafydd happily wandered about inside she took one step inside and literally ran out. She said she 'sensed' the spirts of people and that we shouldn't be in there. Karen is sensitive to such things although it has never happened to me.
We have visited many burial chambers over the years and rarely will she step inside one due to the 'feelings' she gets. The few she has is because she says there is nothing to 'sense' at those sites.

More recently, on Orkney, I was in Minehowe with Dafydd and he was very uneasy and wanted to get out asap. Dafydd has been in many burial chambers etc and has never been like this before (or since). This was the site Tony Robinson with Time Team couldn't wait to get out of. Although I was not like that there was certainly something 'different' about the atmosphere inside Minehowe.

Interesting. I've read quite a few accounts of people having experiences at WKLB. I've always wanted to be up there at twilight but never had the chance. Not sure i'd want to be in one of the chambers at that time though.

A swallow once flew out at speed as I entered a chamber there, right past my head. One moment that eerie silence, then a noise and this black object flying at me!
Luckily theres a couple of clothes shops in Marlborough, so I was able to get a change of pants.

Hahaha! There are a couple of clothes shops in Marlborough aren't there (most of them well out of my price range). What sort of black object? A bat maybe, if it was dusk?
A few years back I walked up there one morning - a wren flew out, sat on one of the entrance stones and seemed to watch me for a while before flying off - which was sort of magical. I know quite a few people who have had some sort of 'unexplained uneasy feeling' inside WKLB - I'm not one of them as I rarely go inside. It really does feel a bit spooky, I put that down to suffering from claustrophobia.

The black object was the swallow June!
And yes, Marlborough is a bit on the pricey side. Nice place though.
I sometimes stay at the Merlin when I come down to Avebury, not expensive but comfortable and right on the high st. Not too far to stagger home from the pub. :)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 17, 2012, 11:01
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
What I want to know Sancters, is whether you ever went back. And if so, what was it like?

No I never have Rocky but have often thought about it. It will be interesting if I ever do (I have to find it first again though) because this time I would have preconcieved ideas about the place whereas before I didn't.
Thanks for asking anyway.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8855/cist_cerrig.html ?

No that wasn't it George this was a mound, quite a largish one and observed from around 100 yards away, the closest I got to it. I've just been looking on the map and I think we would have been on the A487 and definitely heading east and about 5 miles from Porthmadog. We parked up on the right and the site was on the left of the road a few hundred yards back to the west and wooded.

Just been trying to locate a barrow in woodland in that area, as I want to know where this is now too!
Can't seem to find anything, but I am looking at landranger maps on my phone so it's
a bit fiddly. Any other clues Roy?

Just trying to remember as this was over 40 years ago :-(
The track looked like it was once a road on an estate because it had an impressive entrance I recall with brick/stone piers which may at one time had gates on them. At the end of the track through the wood were two standing stones about 8ft tall, one either side of the track. There was nothing affixed to them they were totally free standing. All I saw beyond them was the burial mound which I'm estimating as being about 10ft tall and maybe 25ft diameter. I didn't stay around long enough to notice anything else and kept looking back over my shoulder as I hurried back. Seems quite ridiculous now as I've never experienced anything like that since. I guess I'd have to drive down that road again to find it but things could easily have changed since then although a recognised burial mound should still be in place. It may be that we were further away from Porthmadog than I'm estimating but we would have been on that road. It's gonna bug me now!

I'll keep looking!
Given the size, do you think it might have been Roman?
I would have thought it might be well known on here if it was Neo/BA, especially of that size.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 17, 2012, 11:45
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
What I want to know Sancters, is whether you ever went back. And if so, what was it like?

No I never have Rocky but have often thought about it. It will be interesting if I ever do (I have to find it first again though) because this time I would have preconcieved ideas about the place whereas before I didn't.
Thanks for asking anyway.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8855/cist_cerrig.html ?

No that wasn't it George this was a mound, quite a largish one and observed from around 100 yards away, the closest I got to it. I've just been looking on the map and I think we would have been on the A487 and definitely heading east and about 5 miles from Porthmadog. We parked up on the right and the site was on the left of the road a few hundred yards back to the west and wooded.

Just been trying to locate a barrow in woodland in that area, as I want to know where this is now too!
Can't seem to find anything, but I am looking at landranger maps on my phone so it's
a bit fiddly. Any other clues Roy?

Just trying to remember as this was over 40 years ago :-(
The track looked like it was once a road on an estate because it had an impressive entrance I recall with brick/stone piers which may at one time had gates on them. At the end of the track through the wood were two standing stones about 8ft tall, one either side of the track. There was nothing affixed to them they were totally free standing. All I saw beyond them was the burial mound which I'm estimating as being about 10ft tall and maybe 25ft diameter. I didn't stay around long enough to notice anything else and kept looking back over my shoulder as I hurried back. Seems quite ridiculous now as I've never experienced anything like that since. I guess I'd have to drive down that road again to find it but things could easily have changed since then although a recognised burial mound should still be in place. It may be that we were further away from Porthmadog than I'm estimating but we would have been on that road. It's gonna bug me now!

I'll keep looking!
Given the size, do you think it might have been Roman?
I would have thought it might be well known on here if it was Neo/BA, especially of that size.

That's possible as there was quite a bit around the area I believe. Well the size I don't have a problem with as Neo/BA have some sizeable ones and according to Grinsell up to 20/25ft high. If I was to compare one with what I saw I guess it would be one of the larger bell barrows on Overton Hill at Avebury.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2012, 14:40
Aug 17, 2012, 14:38
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

The black object was the swallow June!
And yes, Marlborough is a bit on the pricey side. Nice place though.
I sometimes stay at the Merlin when I come down to Avebury, not expensive but comfortable and right on the high st. Not too far to stagger home from the pub. :)

Of course, apologies, I misread your post ... that will teach me to still be online after midnight - should have been snoozing.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Oct 13, 2012, 01:22
It's mad i couldn't remember this tread, Even though i wrote stuff on it, lets put them both together so people can read more stories.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Oct 13, 2012, 01:29
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Dunnydeer, Nov 2008.

The first site of a days RSC spotting in Aberdeenshire. I'd driven down in the morning from where I was staying on the Black Isle, very excited at the prospect of seeing sites like Cothiemuir and Sunhoney which I'd read so much about and gazed longingly at pictures of for years.
I can't remember why I chose Dunnydeer as the first site to see, but it was with excited anticipation that I parked the car up in the layby and set off up the hill toward the stone circle.

I stayed close to the field boundary when walking up, got to the top of the field and then continued to follow the fence around, so actually ended up approaching the circle from 'the back' (but which is actually the 'front', if that makes any sense at all).
I saw one of the flankers peeping over the long grass and made my way toward the circle.

I got to about 10 feet from the circle, which was now in full view, when I suddenly experienced a bolt of fear go through me. It was completely unexpected and as I stood there I began to feel a rising panic.
I felt, and it sounds daft now of course, that if I were to go near the circle that something would 'happen'. I don't know what exactly(!), but the feeling was telling me it was not a good idea to go any nearer.

I didn't know what to do. I'd planned and organized this holiday, made loads of effort to get here, couldn't wait to see these sites and now I stood 10 feet from the first one, paralyzed with fear to go anywhere near it!
Again, sounds daft, but I felt as though something or someone was aware of my presence there and was looking upon me as an intruder.

So strong was this feeling that I did something I had never done before (and done only once since) and assured this supposed 'entity' (or whatever it could possibly be) of my absolute best intentions and total respect.
"I come in peace" for want of a better expression!

After about a minute I plucked up enough courage to move slowly toward the circle, very careful with every step, trying to sense the atmosphere.
I got there, reached out a hand and, still pretty fearful, very gently touched the recumbent. After another minute or so i started to feel calmer, the fear went and the rest of my time spent there was fine.

My own subconscious fears coming to the surface or something else entirely?
Who knows.

Talking to "entities", you're just as mad as me mr Evergreen, and remind me please of the 2 nd time you did.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Oct 13, 2012, 07:42
Ha! Another time I felt the need to 'address' something was at Bacombe Hill.
The same sort of scenario. Is it mad? Probably. Don't think I haven't thought the same thing myself!
But rightly or wrongly I felt the need to do it.
Probably look hilarious up on a hill slowly and cautiously approaching a small mound of earth. :)
GLADMAN
950 posts

Oct 13, 2012, 11:58
I'd recommend reading Charles Foster's 'Wired for God?' exploring 'the biology of spiritual experience' - ISBN 978 0 340 96443 9.

His dedication may serve as a suitable introduction:

'To Colin Roberts, whose lessons in happy anarchy on the moors of the Peak District are responsible for a lot'.

Unfortunately I've no similar figure to blame for my own grounding experiences on the hills of Wales. Just myself.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index